Funding brief: The Academy provides nine awards to individual scientists who have been working and living in a developing country for at least 10 years.
The TWAS Awards (previouly called ‘TWAS Prizes’) are awarded to individual scientists from developing countries in recognition of an outstanding contribution to scientific knowledge in nine fields of sciences and/or to the application of science and technology to sustainable development. To abide by the decision of the TWAS Council taken in November 2018, the cycle of the TWAS Awards will be every two years. Additionally, during the TWAS Council meeting held in Hangzhou, China, on 11 November 2019, the request by UNESCO to change the term ‘prize’ to ‘award’ for all existing and new TWAS distinctions other than medals was approved and therefore this award scheme is now called ‘TWAS Awards’.
Agricultural Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Earth, Astronomy and Space Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Mathematics, Medical Sciences, Physics and Social Sciences*
Donor Name: The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)
Funding name: No specific fund name
Deadline: The deadline for receiving nominations is 16th, March, 2020, however we strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the nomination as early as you can to enable us to process it as quickly as possible.
Funding details link: Click to view
● TWAS provides nine awards of USD 10,000 each (a reduced amount was decided by the TWAS Council in December 2018, and then revised during the Council meeting held in Hangzhou, China, on 11 November 2019) in the following fields: agricultural sciences; biology; chemistry; earth, astronomy and space sciences; engineering sciences; mathematics; medical sciences; physics and social sciences*.
● Each award is accompanied by a plaque.
● Awards are usually presented on a special occasion, often coinciding with the General Meeting of TWAS.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N/A
Project duration: N/A
Eligible organization: As below
● Candidates for a TWAS Award must be scientists who have been working and living in a developing country for at least ten years immediately prior to their nomination. They must meet at least one of the following qualifications:
● Scientific research achievement of outstanding significance for the development of scientific thought.
● Outstanding contribution to the application of science and technology to sustainable development.
● Members of TWAS and candidates for TWAS membership are not eligible for TWAS Awards.
● Self-nominations will not be considered.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DEADLINE TO RECEIVE NOMINATIONS IS 16 MARCH 2020. HOWEVER WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE DEADLINE BUT SUBMIT YOUR NOMINATION AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. TWAS OFFICES ARE CLOSED FOR THE END-OF-THE-YEAR FESTIVITIES FROM 21 DECEMBER 2019-6 JANUARY 2020, BOTH DATES INCLUSIVE.
● TWAS is inviting nominations from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries.
● Nominations must be made on the on-line nomination form and clearly state the contribution the candidate has made to the development of the particular field of science for which the prize would be awarded.
● Nominations of women scientists and scientists from scientifically lagging countries are particularly encouraged.
● The re-nomination of a previously declined candidate shall be accepted only if it bears substantially new elements for judgment.
Eligible Country: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Chad, Chile, China, Taiwan, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Rep., Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Eswatini, Kingdom of, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Equatorial, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Isl. Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Federated States of, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip), Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Rwanda, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Submission mail: Not found
Visit all funding categories: Click to view
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh