Funding brief: Do you have a great climate change adaptation or clean energy project, but have you had difficulty attracting investment? PFAN can help!
PFAN accepts applications for projects in low- and middle-income countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Pacific Islands, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Central America and Caribbean Islands (see below for a full list of eligible countries).
To be eligible for PFAN support, your project or business must provide climate change adaptation benefits, or offer or use clean energy technologies, products or services, including, but not limited to, the activity areas below. PFAN is technology neutral, which means they do not prefer any technology over any other.
Proposals should demonstrate that the project is commercially and technically viable, and requires no or only minimal grant funding. If your project currently receives grant funding or has done so in the past, that does not affect eligibility.
Eligible sectors and technologies:
|Biomass||Tidal / Ocean||Energy Storage & Conservation||Agriculture and agribusiness|
|Biogas||Energy Products from Forestry||Energy Efficiency and Demand Reduction||Productive use of Clean Energy|
|Bio-fuels||Rural Electrification & Energy Access||Waste to Energy||Water & Sanitation|
|Solar||Ecosystem Services||Emissions Reduction||Tourism|
|Wind||Urban & Peri-Urban Development||Clean Transport||Forestry|
|Hydropower||Distributed & Off-grid Generation||Climate Change Adaptation|
Based on PFAN’s evaluation criteria, your project will be given a score. If this score qualifies your project for PFAN assistance, it will be placed in one of three categories:
● Long Term Development Projects will receive one-on-one coaching support from the assigned PFAN Coaches to prepare an investment-ready business plan. They can then move on to Investment Forum Ready and Investment Facilitation categories.
● Investment Forum Ready Projects will undergo an intensive programme of coaching and preparation for showcasing to investors at one of PFAN’s regular regional Investment Forums.
● Investment Facilitation Projects are assigned to a member of PFAN’s Investment Facilitation Team, which consists of specialised investment experts who guide and support the investment facilitation process.
Donor Name: Private Financing Advisory Network (PFAN)
Funding name: No specific fund name
|Deadline – Q3 2019||Deadline – Q4 2019|
|Southern Africa||4 August 2019||11 November 2019|
|Eastern Europe & Central Asia||23 August 2019||30 November 2019|
|West Africa||18 August 2019||2 December 2019|
|South & Southeast Asia||9 August 2019||17 December 2019|
|Pacific Islands||9 August 2019||17 December 2019|
|Caribbean & Central America||30 August 2019||15 December 2019|
|Eastern Africa||1 September 2019||25 November 2019|
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: For ALL Projects, the investment ask should lie between US$1 million and US$50 million. This may be disbursed in smaller tranches as requested.
ONLY for Energy Access and Rural Electrification Projects (clean cook stoves, solar home systems, mini grids) an exception is made, and the investment ask can lie between US$500 thousand and US$50 million. This too may be disbursed in smaller tranches as requested.
PFAN does not directly fund any projects.
Projects selected for PFAN assistance receive free business coaching. This coaching has been shown to greatly speed up the process of reaching investment-ready status, and consequently shorten the path to finding investment.
PFAN organises regional and international Investment Forums, where the most promising investment-ready projects are showcased to a group of investors from various categories (private equity, development banks, development funds, clean energy focused investors, and so on), increasing the probability of finding the best investor for your project.
PFAN also has a dedicated Investment Facilitation Team, which ensures investment-ready projects are introduced to target investors, throughout the process.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not found
Project duration: Not found
Eligible organization: As below
Examples of eligible projects
● Projects and businesses which deploy clean and renewable energy and/or climate change technologies for productive uses;
● Greenfield & brownfield utility projects, independent power producer and distributed generation projects (for both thermal and electrical energy);
● Existing projects which are operating at small or pilot scale and which are ready for scale-up;
● Projects which increase access to energy for remote communities, including rural electrification, off-grid and mini-grid projects, thermal energy and clean cooking solutions;
● New or expanding business ventures in clean energy and related technologies, including downstream projects (focused on deployment of existing technologies) and upstream projects (focused on development and commercialisation of a new clean technology);
● Mergers, acquisitions or joint ventures, which will add value to an existing clean energy / technology business.
● Investment Opportunity and Project Structure
● Market Analysis (Commercial Rationale)
● Management Team & Organisation
● Technology, Operations & Implementation Plan
● Financials and Investment Structure
● Identification and Mitigation of Risks
● Environmental & Social Benefits
● Professionalism and Presentation of the Proposal
● Maturity of the Project
● Sub-Saharan Africa: Angola; Benin; Botswana; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cabo Verde; Cameroon; Central African Republic; Chad; Comoros; Congo; Cote d’Ivoire; Democratic Republic of Congo; Djibouti; Equatorial Guinea; Eritrea; Ethiopia; Gabon; Gambia; Ghana; Guinea; Guinea Bisseau ; Kenya; Lesotho; Liberia ; Madagascar; Malawi; Mali; Mauritania ; Mauritius; Mozambique; Namibia; Niger; Nigeria; Rwanda; Saint Helena; Sao Tome and Principe; Senegal; Sierra Leone ; Somalia; South Africa; South Sudan; Sudan; Swaziland ; Tanzania; Togo; Uganda; Zambia; Zimbabwe.
● The Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Barbados; Beliz; Cuba; Dominica; Dominican Republic; Grenada; Haiti; Jamaica; Montserrat; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago.
Central America: Belize; Colombia; Costa Rica; El Salvador; Guatemala; Guyana; Honduras; Mexico; Nicaragua; Panama.
● South and Southeast Asia:
Bangladesh; Bhutan; Cambodia; India; Indonesia; Lao PDR; Malaysia; Maldives; Myanmar; Nepal; Pakistan; Philippines; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; Vietnam.
● Central Asia and Eastern Europe:
Afghanistan; Armenia; Azerbaijan; Belarus; Georgia; Iran; Kazakhstan; Kyrgyzstan; Mongolia; Republic of Moldova; Tajikistan; Turkey; Turkmenistan; Ukraine; Uzbekistan.
Cook Islands; Fiji; Kiribati; Marshall Islands; Micronesia; Nauru; Niue; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Samoa; Solomon Islands; Tokelau ; Tonga; Tuvalu ; Vanuatu; Wallis and Futuna.
Submission mail: Not found
The application consists of an online form and the following 3 documents to be uploaded (maximum total size: 20MB):
● A Project Proposal (MS Word or PDF format, not more than 20 pages long)
● This free-form proposal, with its annexes, forms the core of your application and the evaluation will be mostly based on this document.
● A Financial Model (preferably in MS Excel format)
● An Executive Summary (should be in MS Word format)
● Other documents related to your business may also be uploaded (such as Commercial Register, etc.)
● The financial model should be prepared preferably in USD, and in MS excel or equivalent software.
● The time frame should cover the main planned milestones of the project, any planned growth periods and the expected maturity of the Investment Proposal, as applicable. The model should ideally present the calculation of financial indicators such as internal rate of return (IRR), return on capital invested/expenditure (ROCE), payback period, point of break even, annual debt service coverage ratio (DSCR) and interest coverage ratio (ICR) (both based on EBITDA).Visit all Funding opportunities: Click to view
Visit all funding categories: Click to view
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh