Funding brief: The Alliance is seeking a team of diverse health policy and systems researchers and communicators to develop stories of change on eleven low- and middle- income countries that provide an overview of how the HPSR environment has changed between 2009-2019 at the country level, and what the Alliance’s contribution to those changes has been.
The overall goal of this project is to understand in 11 countries where we have had the most number of projects between 2009-2019:
1) How HPSR environments have evolved, and
2) What the Alliance’s contribution has been to that evolution.
To share this understanding, we are looking to develop stories of change for each country, which should consider developments in:
● Individual and institutional capacities for both the generation and use of HPSR at national and sub-national levels.
● Research productivity and outputs in the field of HPSR and their influences on the field in general (i.e., among the wider HPSR community) and influences on health system strengthening within the country itself.
● Impact of HPSR on practice, policies and regulation in the country, including any increase in dedicated HPSR funding or commitment from the government of the country.
Based on these objectives, applicants should propose a relevant methodological approach to developing these stories of change that:
● Utilizes a mix of quantitative and qualitative methods;
● Ensures collaboration and verification of findings with key contacts in each of the countries.
The main output expected from the project is an overarching report in English that includes an introduction, the eleven stories of change (roughly 3- 5 pages per country), a section that reads across the eleven stories to understand how they have contributed to the wider HPSR community globally, and a section that highlights lessons for the Alliance about how it can improve its engagement at country level.
In addition to this report, they would like standalone summaries (roughly one page each) of the eleven country stories to support the wider communication and dissemination of these stories. They also welcome innovative approaches to conveying the stories beyond written text.
Donor Name: Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, World Health Organization (WHO)
Funding name: Call for proposals: Country-level stories of change on health policy and systems research
Deadline: 12th, November, 2019, 23:59 CET
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: The maximum amount of funding available from the Alliance will be US$ 185 000. No further funding will be provided by the Alliance within and beyond the project period.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: The activities should take no longer than nine months and are expected to commence roughly in January, 2020.
Project duration: January-September 2020.
Eligible organization: As below
Eligibility: For consideration for this award, the following eligibility criteria apply:
● The principal investigator (PI) should:
● Have several years of broad global health research experience in LMICs, including HPSR;
Have experience with or exposure to the work of the Alliance;
Be involved in or published on research capacity assessment or research impact assessments; and
Have experience with doing capacity development for research in LMICs.
● The team should: a. Comprise of
A core team that defines methods and research tools and oversees work in multiple countries, and a network of key people and HPSR collaborators living in or with knowledge of the relevant countries;
Be familiar with quantitative and qualitative research approaches, especially for understanding contribution and impact of policies and programmes;
Demonstrate language skills outside of English as appropriate for the countries;
Have experience using innovative approaches to communicating research findings.
For all Alliance research projects, they require a gender balance, with women comprising at least 50% of the research team.
Criteria: Submissions will be reviewed by at least two independent reviewers who will judge proposals based on:
● Appropriateness of the proposed methods for meeting the objectives of the call
● Feasibility of the proposed approach for meeting deadlines
● Eligibility criteria outlined above
● Value for money
Eligible Country: No Country Bar Found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply: Submissions of bids should be made at email@example.com.
● Please use the subject: WHO Bid Ref. Call for Proposals: Country-level stories of change. Submissions should be no more than 8 pages, excluding annexes (standard font at size 11, 1.15 line-spacing, normal margins).Visit all Funding opportunities: Click to view
Visit all funding categories: Click to view
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh