Funding brief: The American Center at the U.S. Embassy Dhaka is pleased to announce the Community College Initiative (CCI) Program for academic year 2020-21. The CCI Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). This in a non-degree program but students will earn credits for two semesters upon completion of the program.
CCI provides participants from Bangladesh and other selected countries with opportunities to study at community colleges in the United States to build mutual understanding through a non-degree program of academic, vocational, and cultural studies. It is an intensive program intended to provide student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. Since 2007, nearly 2,150 students from 15 countries have received scholarships for study at community colleges throughout the United States.
Students who have completed their higher secondary education will spend one academic year in the United States enrolled full-time at an American community college. The 2020-2021 program provides academic instruction at community colleges throughout the U.S. in the fields of applied engineering, agriculture, business management and administration, early childhood education, information technology, media, public safety, and tourism and hospitality management.
Although participants may earn an academic certificate in their field of study and gain first-hand practical experience through internships in their field of study, this is not a degree program. Student will earn full credits for two semesters.
In addition to receiving professional training, participants develop leadership skills, build English language proficiency, and learn about American society and culture, including community service and social responsibility. After completing the program, participants will return to their home countries with new skills to help them contribute to the economic growth and development of their countries.
Participants are expected to be highly motivated and exemplary students who have completed their HSC or A-levels.
Donor Name: The American Center at the U.S. Embassy, Dhaka
Funding name: The Community College Initiative Program FY 2020-21
Deadline: Thursday, November, 21st, 2019
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: Not Found
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: 1 year or less
Eligible organization: As below
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for the CCI program, interested candidates must:
● Be Bangladeshi citizens and not dual citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or any other country;
● Be at least 18 years old;
● Have passport valid until February, 2022
● Have completed their HSC degree / A-levels or be currently enrolled as first year university students;
● Be able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa and meet the program conditions to maintain that status;
● Be proficient in written and spoken English language, and able to obtain a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 65-71 or an IELTS score of 6.0. If you already have a TOEFL or IELTS score, please submit it with your application. Please note that having advance English test score is an advantage for the selection procedure.
● Have at least a B+ average, without any failing grades;
● Be willing and able to accurately represent Bangladeshi culture in American institutions and communities;
● Be committed to returning to Bangladesh upon completion of the program and satisfying the J-visa two-year residency requirement;
● Have demonstrated leadership skills;
● Have limited or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
● Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel;
● Be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country;
● Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive; and
● Be able to begin the academic exchange program in the U.S. in July 2020.
● A medical examination is also required for participation in the program. Please carefully review the application for all eligibility requirements.
Eligible Country: Bangladesh
Submission mail: ShahidTX@state.gov
How to apply: Please submit your complete application on or before Thursday, November, 21st, 2019 by e-mail to ShahidTX@state.gov, or submit a hard copy either in person or by courier service to the American Center.
● Submit a completed original application with your signature on the last page. Please submit only pages 6-12, as there is no need to include application instruction pages 1-5 ( these pages are only for your reading);
● Please answer ALL questions on the application in English (except where specified). DO NOT leave a space blank. If a question does not apply to you, enter N/A (not applicable);
● Include your full legal name or family name (surname) exactly as spelled on your international passport;
● Include complete contact information, including dialing codes for all addresses and city/country codes for all phone numbers; Please include your own cell numbers, please do not use your relatives or friends cell numbers.
● All handwritten applications must be neatly printed;
● Enclose your SSC and HSC / university’s 1st, 2nd year transcripts / grade sheets;
● Enclose at least one recommendation letter from your teachers;
● A passport size photo
● Enclose a photocopy of your passport; only the information page. Please note that we will not be able to register you for an English language test if you do not have a passport; and
● Submit your application by the deadline.
Note: Please contact with the donor directly to know the details of the availability of forms and submission process.Visit all Funding opportunities: Click to view
Visit all funding categories: Click to view
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh