Funding brief: The Science Without Borders® Challenge is an international art contest that engages students to promote the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources.
The Science Without Borders® Challenge was created to get students and teachers interested in ocean conservation through various forms of art. This annual contest inspires students to be creative while learning about important ocean science and conservation issues. The Challenge is open to primary and secondary school students 11-19 years old, with scholarships of up to $500 awarded to the winning entries.
The 2020 Science Without Borders® Challenge
The theme for this year’s Science Without Borders® Challenge is “Take Action: Conserve Coral Reefs.” Throughout the world, coral reefs are rapidly declining and threatened by a variety of factors—both natural and man-made. If nothing is done to save them, many coral reefs will no longer exist as functioning ecosystems by the end of the century. For this year’s contest, the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation is asking students to use their artistic talents to create a piece of art that illustrates one or more of the different actions that can be taken to preserve coral reefs.
Donor Name: Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation
Funding name: The Science Without Borders Challenge
Deadline: The deadline to enter the 2020 Science Without Borders® Challenge is Monday, April, 20th, 2020.
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: Winners of the Science Without Borders® Challenge will be publicly announced. Prizes awarded to contestant winners are as follows:
● 1st Place: $500
● 2nd Place: $350
● 3rd Place: $200
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N/A
Project duration: N/A
Eligible organization: As below
Eligibility: This international art competition is open to All students 11-19 years old. Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school, or the home school equivalent. College and university students are not eligible for this contest.
Work will be judged in two categories, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded for each:
● 11 – 14 year-olds
● 15 – 19 year-olds
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
How to apply: To apply to the Challenge, read the SWB Challenge Contest Rules, fill out the SWB Challenge Submission Form online, and send your original artwork (along with a completed COPPA Privacy Form for students under the age of 13) to: Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation, Science Without Borders® Challenge, 7 Old Solomons Island Rd, Suite 200, Annapolis, MD 21401, USA
● All artwork must be an original work by the contestant and shall not infringe on any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties. For instance, drawing a character from a cartoon or movie is not considered an original work.
● The artwork must be 2D such as a painting or drawing. Acceptable media include: paint, pencil, marker, crayon, ink, felt, and oil pastel. Digitally created artwork, including photographs, are not accepted.
● There is no minimum or maximum size requirements for the artwork.
● You must send your original artwork. Digital copies of artwork are NOT permitted.
● All submissions must be made by an individual artist. Group submissions are not permitted.
● Participants may submit only 1 art piece.
● Write your first and last name and age in pencil on the back of your artwork. Also include the same teacher’s first and last name, email, and phone number that you listed on your Entry Form.
● Fill out all required information on the Entry Forms (online only). Make sure to fill out this form before you mail your artwork.
● Artwork and art descriptions may be used in publications and distributed to the media.
● The Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation reserves the right to disqualify artwork deemed offensive.
● If the explanation of artwork or the artwork itself is plagiarized, then it will be disqualified.
● Entries that do not comply with all of the contest rules will be disqualified.
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh