Funding brief: The Wellcome Trust invites applications for ‘International Training Fellowships.
This scheme offers nationals of low- and middle-income countries the opportunity to receive training at postgraduate or postdoctoral level.
Donor Name: Wellcome Trust
Funding name: International Training Fellowships
● Preliminary application deadline: 21st, November, 2019, 17:00 GMT
● Full application deadline: 4th, February. 2020, 17:00 GMT
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: Usually £150,00 to £300,000 for salary, fees and research expenses
● An International Training Fellowship is for three years, unless you want to hold it on a part-time basis.
● If you want to do Master’s training or a diploma course relevant to the research proposal, the fellowship can last up to four years. You must be able to justify this training.
The support includes:
● A basic salary (determined by your host organisation)
● Personal removal expenses
● Research management and support costs
● Research expenses, directly related to your proposal
● Course fees
If you ask for research assistance you must give a strong justification for it.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: 3 years
Eligible organization: As below
Eligibility: You can apply for an International Training Fellowship if:
● You’re a national of a low- or middle-income country
● Your proposed research focuses on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country
● You have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country.
● You must want to undertake a guided period of research so that you can consolidate your existing experience and explore new areas of research.
● Have a PhD and be an early-career researcher
● Have a degree in a relevant subject and some initial research experience
● Be a clinically qualified doctor (and be qualified to enter higher specialist training), vet, dentist or clinical psychologist, and have some initial research experience.
● If you don’t have a PhD, they expect you to start one at the same time as the fellowship. You should register for your PhD at a local academic organisation. If this isn’t possible, contact us before submitting your application.
● If you are in the last year of a PhD, you must have been awarded the PhD before you start the fellowship. We don’t provide PhD top-up funding.
● You can apply if you have a permanent or rolling employment contract, but only if you’re at an early stage in your career. Please contact us first to discuss.
● If you’ve been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave, or long-term sick leave), we’ll allow for this when we consider your application.
Your research proposal
● Your research proposal should be within our science remit and focus on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country.
When you consider your application, they’ll look at:
● Your research experience
● The quality and importance of your research question(s)
● Your knowledge of the scientific area
● The feasibility of your proposal
● The suitability of your choice of sponsor, supervisors and environments
● Your vision of how this fellowship will contribute to your career development.
● They encourage fellows to collaborate with researchers in other low- and middle-income countries.
At the end of this fellowship, you should be able to show:
● You have the potential to be an independent leader in your area of research
● You have the skills and experience to apply for more advanced (intermediate level) funding schemes.
Eligible Country: This scheme offers nationals of low- and middle-income countries the opportunity to receive training at postgraduate or postdoctoral level. Where your host organisation is based: Low- or middle-income countries (apart from India)
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Apply: Click to view
● Guideline: Click to view
● Proposal Form (Form-):
Sample preliminary application form for International Training and Intermediate Fellowships: Click to view
Sample full application form for International Training Fellowships: Click to view
● About: Click to view
How to apply: You must submit your application through the Wellcome Trust (Grant Tracker (WTGT).
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh