Funding brief: The sustainability movement has reached the business models of nearly every industry in the United States, and many companies, municipalities and states have set aggressive sustainability goals that include how waste streams are being managed. The EREF Board of Directors has set an initiative to ensure research funded reflects EREF’s long-term strategic plan to address all areas of integrated solid waste management, with a strong focus towards research that increased sustainable solid waste management practices.
EREF is an IRS 501(c)3 non-profit organization and is one of the largest sources of funding for solid waste research in North America. EREF is not affiliated with any other entity or group and governed by a duly elected Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is the decision-making body that has responsibility for establishing policies that define program interests and fundamental objectives to be served by the Foundation.
Definition of Solid Waste Used in this RFP: It should be noted that EREF defines solid waste to include:
● Municipal solid waste (e.g. residential, commercial, institutional)
● Construction & demolition debris
● Certain industrial wastes (e.g. exploration & production waste, coal ash) and
● Other wastes typically managed by the solid waste industry or generated by the public not included in the above items (e.g. electronic waste, disaster debris, etc).
● Agricultural wastes (that aren’t handled by the waste industry), nuclear waste, and land applied wastewater treatment sludge are generally not included in this definition.
Research Topic Areas: Pre-proposal topics must relate to sustainable solid waste management practices and pertain to the following topic areas:
● Waste minimization
Waste conversion to energy, biofuels, chemicals or other useful products. This includes, but is not limited to, the following technologies:
● Anaerobic digestion
● Other thermal or biological conversion technologies
● Strategies to promote diversion to higher and better uses (e.g. organics diversion, market analysis, optimized material management, logistics, etc.)
Desirable aspects of the above topics, in addition to or as part of hypothesis driven applied research, also include: economic or cost/benefit analyses, feasibility studies for untested technologies or management strategies, life cycle analysis or inventory, and analyses of policies that relate to the above.
Topics Requiring Approval Prior to Pre-Proposal Submission
There are a number of topics that may require approval before a pre-proposal will be considered. Investigators who would like to propose a research topic where the primary objectives relate to the areas listed below should contact EREF to discuss the topic prior to submitting a pre-proposal. To do this, please email a description of the proposed research that is 1-page or less to firstname.lastname@example.org that requests review of the concept. This request should be made 2 weeks or more in advance of any pre-proposal deadline. If necessary, or upon request, the concept can be discussed via phone as well.
List of Topics Requiring Approval
● Development of life-cycle/process models to evaluate solid waste
● Evaluating specific applications of pyrolysis/gasification to manage niche/minor waste streams
● Development of specific gasification/pyrolysis techniques or technologies
● Using algae to create biofuels from waste
Donor Name: Environmental Research & Education Foundation (EREF)
Funding name: No specific fund name
Deadline: EREF has two deadlines per year for pre-proposals:
● December, 1st
● May, 1st
Pre-proposals will be accepted starting from 15 days prior to the deadline date and up to the close of business (5:00 p.m. eastern time) on the deadline date. Proposals must be received during this window to be considered. If any of the above dates fall on a weekend, then the deadline will be the Monday following the due date.
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: Projects and research previously funded by the Foundation can be viewed on its website at www.erefdn.org. Previously awarded grants have ranged from $15,000 to over $500,000 with the average grant amount in recent years being $160,000. Typical project durations are about 2 years. It should be noted that proposed research in excess of $300,000 or longer than 3 years should contain sufficient details that justify the need for the higher than average amount requested and longer project duration.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: Typical project durations are about 2 years. It should be noted that proposed research in excess of $300,000 or longer than 3 years should contain sufficient details that justify the need for the higher than average amount requested and longer project duration.
Eligible organization: As below
● Non-U.S. Institutions
There are no restrictions in regards to geographic location. Any U.S. or non-U.S. institutions are eligible to apply.
● Non-Academic Institutions
Proposals will be accepted from non-academic institutions provided the principal investigators are qualified to conduct the research.
● Multiple Institutions
Submissions may include multiple institutions.
● Who Can Serve as a Principal Investigator
Principal investigators (PI) must be qualified to do the work proposed and should be experts in the subject matter referenced in the pre-proposal/proposal. Typically this would include full-time faculty at academic institutions, post-doctoral employees, and principals or senior personnel at non-academic institutions. Graduate students are not eligible to be principal investigators. However, graduate students are encouraged to consider applying to EREF’s scholarship program (see the EREF website for details).
● Multiple Pre-Proposal Submissions
Pre-Proposal submissions are limited to two (2) submissions per principal investigator during a particular submission period. Beyond this, the PI cannot be listed as a PI or co-PI on other submissions that round, but may be listed as a supporting investigator on other submissions.
● Repeat Submittals
Pre-proposals that did not receive an invitation to submit a full proposal may re-submit a revised version of the original pre-proposal once, and thereafter, approval must be obtained by EREF beforehand. In the event a research topic is very closely related to a prior submittal by the same entity, EREF staff will make any determinations regarding whether or not a submitted proposal constitutes a re-submittal.
Eligible Country: No Country Bar Found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (Click to view).
● All pre-proposals shall be submitted through an online application found HERE. Mailed hard copies and email submissions will not be accepted. NOTE: You are being directed to a 3rd party platform called Community Force. If you have not submitted through Community Force before, you will need to create an accountseparate from the EREF website.
● Pre-proposals are now REQUIRED prior to submitting a full proposal using the pre-proposal template. All pre-proposals must adhere to the criteria noted and be submitted by the established deadlines. Pre-proposals submitted in response to this RFP that do not fit within the topic areas noted will not be reviewed.
● Formatting Requirements
All proposals shall be in English. Proposals should be between 1 to 2 pages in length in 12-point Times New Roman font. The spacing on each page shall be between 1.15 and 1.5 lines. All pre-proposals MUST use the template provided. Pre-proposals that do not use the template will not be reviewed.
● File Attachment and Naming
Pre-proposals must be attached as a single Microsoft Word® or in portable document format (PDF) and named as follows:
PI Last Name_AbbreviatedInstitutionName_MonthSubmittedYearSubmitted_preproposal
Dr. John Smith from Arizona State submits a pre-proposal in August 2016 then the file submitted would be named: Smith_ASU_0816_preproposal.doc (or .pdf)
Files submitted that are incorrectly formatted will not be accepted.
● Multiple Files
Submittal of multiple files will not be accepted.
● Cover Letters
Cover letters for pre-proposal submissions are not required.
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh