Funding brief: The 2019 Young Journalist Award is open! Now in its seventh year, the award – in partnership with the UK Foreign Press Association – is Thomson Foundation’s annual journalism competition dedicated to finding and inspiring ambitious journalists from across the globe.
Donor Name: Thomson Foundation
Funding name: Young Journalist Award
Deadline: 16th, August, 2019
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: Three finalists will be flown to London to spend two nights in the city and attend the gala award night at the Sheraton Park Lane Hotel on November 26th, 2019, along with a host of other potential award winners and leading figures from the world of journalism.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N//A
Project duration: N//A
Eligible organization: As below
● AGE: Entrants must be 30 years of age or under on 26th November, 2019.
● Portfolio: Each entrant should submit a portfolio of THREE published or broadcast pieces of work produced in the 12 months preceding 16th August, 2019 (the 12 months prior to the deadline for submissions). The entries can be in any format: print, audio, video, multimedia, or a combination of all four. Applicants can provide URL links to their stories online. If necessary, they can use a file-transfer application such as Google Drive for scans or PDFs of print articles, and for large audio or video files. A written statement of no more than 200 words per story giving a summary of the content and any impact it had on public debate in the country of publication or broadcast, should also be submitted.
Eligible Country: For the purpose of this competition the “developing world” is defined as countries with a Gross National Income (GNI) of $20,000 or less. Entrants should be from a country that meets the GNI criteria and reporting from/in that country or, if not in their country of origination, in another country fitting the same GNI criteria. To find out if your country qualifies, please see: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD
Submission mail: Not found
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (Click to view).
● Entries can be in any language but should be accompanied by a verbatim English-language translation.
● Entries should be accompanied by a letter from the applicant’s current editor, on headed company notepaper verifying that it is the published work of the entrant. Where an entrant is freelance, or self-employed, verification can be provided by an editor from one of the publications/websites/broadcasters where the work appeared, or by a journalism academic familiar with the work of the entrant.
*A VERIFICATION LETTER MUST BE SUPPLIED WITH YOUR SUBMISSION. THIS CAN BE SHARED WITH US VIA A LINK TO DROPBOX, GOOGLE DRIVE OR SIMILAR. ALTERNATIVELY, PLEASE SEND BY EMAIL TO AWARDFPA@THOMSONFOUNDATION.ORG WITH YOUR NAME CLEARLY MARKED IN THE SUBJECT LINE. PLEASE NOTE, WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT VERIFICATION LETTERS VIA EMAIL, EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD BE PROVIDED USING THE ONLINE ENTRY FORM.
● Entrants should provide an explanation of any collaboration undertaken with colleagues or external organisations on the stories that they have submitted.
● Checks will be made for plagiarism and any entrant found to have submitted work which is not their own will be automatically disqualified.
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh