Funding brief: They invite excellent scientists from all countries and at different career stages to apply for a research visit at IGB. They offer fellowships for postdocs and senior scientists for 6-24 months. These fellowships are designed to enable outstanding scientists to contribute to research at IGB and thus further their own scientific development or training.
You would like to expand your research on freshwaters or inland fisheries? You are highly motivated to put your excellent research ideas into action? You are keen on working abroad with an interdisciplinary team of scientists dedicated to advance freshwater ecology, inland fisheries science or related research areas? And you are looking for unique facilities to develop new approaches to tackle the most important research questions for the future of our freshwaters?
Then they cordially invite you to apply for a research visit at IGB. With Berlin being an attractive science location, you will find stimulating working conditions, excellent infrastructure and open-minded colleagues with a wide range of backgrounds in freshwater ecology and inland fisheries. The working language at IGB is English.
Twice a year they offer fellowships to postdocs and senior scientists for 6-24 months. IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes. Fellowships are offered in two funding lines:
● Postdoc Fellowships: full support for postdoctoral researchers to carry out full-time research at IGB for up to two years
● Senior Fellowships: for scientists who generally lead a research group at their home institution to obtain funding for an extended visit at IGB (e.g., during a sabbatical leave)
It is generally possible to split the granted number of months in more than one visiting period at IGB. Please discuss with your host if this option is suitable for your planned project.
Criteria and first contact
The type of fellowship applicable to your career stage depends on your qualifications at the intended starting date. Applicants must hold a doctoral degree in one of the research areas at IGB. Before submitting an application, please contact your potential host and develop a research programme in accordance with your host group. The following links may help to identify the best potential host to pursue your ideas.
Biology and Ecology of Fishes
Ecophysiology and Aquaculture
Analytical Chemistry and Biogeochemistry
Applicants currently residing in Germany are not eligible to the fellowship programme. Please, contact your potential host at IGB to discuss alternative funding opportunities for your planned research.
● Scientific record and potential to conduct the proposed research
● Full support of the potential host contacted before
● Quality and novelty of the research proposal
● Complementary integration into ongoing research activities at IGB
Donor Name: Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB)
Funding name: International IGB Fellowship Programme‚ Freshwater Science
Deadline: Deadlines for the application are June, 1st and December, 1st of each year.
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: The fellowships provide resources to cover basic living expenses. They amount to 1,828 €/month at the postdoctoral level and 2,600 €/month at the senior scientist level. In addition, some funds can be provided for consumables and travel allowances. The fellowships do not include health insurance, which is mandatory in Germany, nor contributions to pension schemes. Fellowships can normally only be granted if no other income is received during the fellowship period by employments elsewhere.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: 6-24 months
Eligible organization: As below
Eligibility: They invite excellent scientists from all countries and at different career stages to apply for a research.
Eligible Country: Scientists currently residing in Germany are not eligible to apply.
Submission mail: Not found
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (Click to view).
● Checklist for required documents
● Your CV, including a complete list of publications
● Certificate of your doctoral degree
● A letter indicating your research interests and experience (max. 1 page)
● Your proposed research programme at IGB (max. 1 page), including potential research host(s) and time line
● Two letters of recommendation to be (a) uploaded by the applicant to our application platform or (b) sent by the reference contact directly to Dr. Ina Severin (firstname.lastname@example.org, cc to email@example.com)
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh