Funding brief: Submit an application if you are a successful top-rank junior researcher from abroad, only completed your doctorate with distinction in the last six years, and have published work in prestigious international journals or publishing houses. The Sofja Kovalevskaja Award allows you to spend five years building up a working group and working on a high-profile, innovative research project of your own choice at a research institution of your own choice in Germany.
The Humboldt Foundation plans to grant up to six Sofja Kovalevskaja Awards annually.
Donor Name: Alexander von Humboldt-StiftungFoundation
Funding name: Sofja Kovalevskaja Award
Deadline: Scientists and scholars from all disciplines may apply online until 31st. July, 2019 to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: The award is valued at up to €1.65 million
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: 5 years
Eligible organization: As below
● Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed with distinction less than six years prior to the application submission deadline. Should it not be possible or customary to take a Ph.D. in your subject or country of origin, you may apply up to ten years after completing your Master’s or Diploma Degree provided that your publication record is commensurate with a Ph.D. and your current career stage.
● Career level: the award would enable the successful applicant to take on a leadership position (e.g. head of a junior research group) in Germany for the first time. Moreover, the applicant must not have held or accepted an offer of permanent employment in Germany. The relevant date is the date of the selection.
● Cutting-edge academic achievements documented particularly by a comprehensive list of independent academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
● Support of the German host institution, evidenced by a detailed expert’s report from the academic host as well as the host’s agreement and the confirmation from the administration at the host institution.
● Two supporting expert reviews from academics (at the applicant’s own institute or other institutes, where possible including some outside the applicant’s country of origin).
● Language skills: scholars in the humanities or social sciences and physicians must have a good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the project successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English; scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English.
● No previous Sofja Kovalevskaja Award.
● Origin: Foreign academics staying in Germany are eligible to apply if they have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to the application submission deadline. Educational residents are subject to the regulations governing Germans. German academics are eligible to apply if they have been working in an academic capacity abroad for a longer time. For more details please check with the FAQ.
● The Humboldt Foundation assumes that candidates will abide by the Rules of Good Scientific Practice and the legally-binding principles of scientific ethics during the application and sponsorship periods.
● Eligible applicants must have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to the submission deadline.
● Potential applicants of German nationality are eligible to apply provided that their habitual place of work and residence has been located abroad on the assumption of permanence for at least five years. Potential applicants who have completed their school education and one university degree or one university degree and their doctorate in Germany are subject to the regulations governing German citizens.
Eligible Country: No Country Bar Found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
(I would like to register and create an online nomination for a Sofja Kovalevskaja Award (Click to view).
I have already created and saved an online application and would like to continue editing this form(Click to view)
● Guideline: Click to view
● About: Click to view
How to apply:
● Interested applicant may apply through the website (I would like to register and create an online nomination for a Sofja Kovalevskaja Award (Click to view).
● I have already created and saved an online application and would like to continue editing this form(Click to view) ).
● Applications may be submitted to the Humboldt Foundation online provided they have been duly completed and all of the following required documents have been uploaded:
Curriculum vitae (two pages max)
Research outline (25 pages max)
Information on the financial plan (one page max)
Complete list of publications
List of selected key publications
German language certificate, if applicable
Host’s statement and hosting agreement as well as confirmation of administration*
Two expert reviews*
Additionally, where required: publishers’ letter(s) of acceptance and/or acknowledgment(s) of receipt as well as summaries or translations of the key publications
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh