Funding brief: International students who have returned to their countries after having studied in Japan and who are currently active in education, academic research or public administration, are invited to a Japanese university to conduct joint research with relevant academics.
The Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) provides the follow-up Research Fellowship for former International Students in Japan to researchers who have previously come to study in Japan from a developing country, region, etc., and are currently active in education, research, or government in their home country, region, etc. (‘former international students’). The fellowship extends to those researchers an opportunity to conduct short-term research which academic advisors at universities (except junior colleagues) in Japan, and is intended to assist the development of education, research and public administration in developing countries, regions, etc., and to advance the academic/scientific research and international exchange for Japan universities.
Donor Name: Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
Funding name: Follow-up Research Fellowship
Deadline: Applications must be received by Friday, November, 30th, 2018. The deadline is just for JASSO. The deadline at your host university might be different. Please confirm the deadline for your host university.
Funding details link: Click to view
(1) Round-trip Air fare and
(2) Daily allowance (¥11,000/day) for the recipient and
(3) Remuneration for cooperation (up to ¥50,000) for the research advisor
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
● In case that any discrepancies arise between the English and Japanese texts, the Japanese will be accepted as the authoritative version.
Form1: To be made by Japanese host university
Form2-1 / 2-2: To be made by foreign researcher
Form3: To be made by research advisor
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: 60-90 consecutive days
Eligible organization: As below
Under 45 years old. At least one year after returning from Japan
● Former International students who wish to short-term research in this fellowship program must satisfy all the following conditions-
1.To have nationality of a country/region given below.
2.To belong to a university or other educational or governmental institute in the relevant country or region, and be currently working in education, research, or government in their home country. (Employees of private businesses are not eligible.)
3.Previous resident status in Japan was a “College Student.”
4. To have completed master/doctoral course in a Japanese university or obtained all the necessary credits before graduation (Coursework doctor).
5.Age is 45 or younger as of April 1, 2019 (i.e., born on April 2, 1973 or after).
6. At least 1 year has passed since they returned home after studying in Japan as of April 1, 2019 (i.e., returned home on March 31, 2018 or before).
Note: If the candidate has stayed for more than 90 consecutive days in other countries/regions after returning to his/her home country, the length of that stay must be excluded from the total length of period after returning home.
7. There is a research advisor for the follow-up research fellowship program at the host Japanese university. Such a research advisor conducted research activity of a former international student during his/her study in Japan and also is currently a full-time worker in Japanese university (except Japanese junior college).
(1). If the teacher has transferred or resigned, the former international student can be accepted by a teacher that was involved in instruction at the time or a teacher who has taken over supervision of that laboratory.
(2) If the teacher has transferred, the former international student can be accepted at the new location.
(3). If the teacher has moved to a higher educational institution other than universities and the former international student wants to conduct research activities at the teachers’ new institution, he or she can be accepted at the new location only if the educational environment provided by the new institution for short-term research activities is recognized by the president of JASSO as being comparable to the educational environment offered by universities.
* In the case of 3), the former international student, to certify the above, must submit a written document whose format is specified by JASSO.
8. To have been accepted by the president of the host university as foreign researcher in accordance with the aims of this fellowship program.
9. To be certainly able to obtain a visa to enter Japan if it is required.
Note: If the acquisition of the visa is not certain as of November, 1, the acceptance of the application may be voided.
10. The former international student has never been a recipient of this fellowship program in the past.
Eligible Country: No Country Bar Found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
How to apply:
● The completed application form should be sent to your host university, which will then send it to JASSO. Applications sent directly to JASSO cannot be accepted.
● Submit both 5 printed copies of application forms（1 copy of Form1 original) and the digital file data. Please let you confirm “For University Use: Cautions When Submitting Files” by all means when you make it.
* When sending the digital file data, please make sure to set the password listed in “For University Use: Cautions When Submitting Files.”
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh