Funding brief: The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), in collaboration with the Basque Culinary Center, presents the First Global Gastronomy Tourism Startup Competition. It is a global initiative that aims to identify startups with the greatest potential to outline the future and promote sustainable innovation in the tourism and gastronomy sector.
Criteria: The projects must be aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals established by the United Nations and the introduction or adaptation of digital and technological elements, and focused on one (or several) of the following areas:
● Destination management or private management of solutions/products/services developed around gastronomy as gastronomic tourism products
● Supply-side configuration seeking balance between sustainable development and the profitability of the project, maximizing the positive impacts on the community.
● Connection with the market and the user experience in all phases of the trip.
● The integration of sustainability in the project´s business plan, specifically the conservation of local ingredients and the relationship between culture, heritage, gastronomy, tourism and economic growth
The projects will be evaluated on the following criteria:
● Innovation and disruptiveness
They are looking for startups with a project/product/service proposal that will disrupt the sector by introducing new concepts not yet identified in the gastronomic tourism industry
● Potential impact and scalability
They are looking for startups with a sound business model that has the potential for scalability in another environment/market/region making it feasible to increase and grow its social, technological and economic impact.
● Initially validated or tested business model
They are looking for startups in growth or seed stages that have tested their idea and have an Minimum Viable Product (MVP) tested in a real market.
● Suitable and committed team
They are looking for startups that have an entrepreneurial team suited to the needs and characteristics of the project, with high motivation, interest and commitment to its development.
● Partnership Readiness
They are looking for startups that have experience in the co-development of products/services and interest in accessing collaborations with partners in the sector.
● Sustainability in the value proposition
They are looking for startups that integrate sustainability into the business model of the project, taking special care of the relationship between culture, heritage, gastronomy, tourism and economic growth.
● Technological or digital component
They are looking for startups in which a technological or digital component is embedded in the business model.
Donor Name: The United Nation World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and Basque Culinary Center
Funding name: The First Global Gastronomy Tourism Startup Competition
Deadline: 5th, March, 2019
Funding details link: Click to view
● 20 selected start-ups will be shortlisted by a panel of international experts and stakeholders from the gastronomy tourism sector (Public and private sector, academia, and civil society).
● The 5 finalist startups will have a sponsored trip to pitch their idea to a panel of experts, governments, industry leaders and international investors who will attend the 5th edition of World Forum on Gastronomy Torusim be held in Spain on 2-3 May.
● The winning company will have the possibility to make its mark on the international stage and increase the impact of its startup with the help of BCC experts with a customized mentoring programme and the possibility of participating in the business accelerator Culinary Action!
● The winning company will have the opportunity to design a pilot project with the Basque Culinary Center and implement it with the help of its network.
Project start date: N//A
Project duration: N//A
Eligible organization: As below
● Startups in the Early Stage or Series A Stage
● Both for-profit and non-profit
● Natural or legal persons
● Startups with a minimum viable product (MVP)
● Startups with potential for scalability
● Startups with a sustainable vision
Eligible Country: No Country Bar Found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (Click to view).
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh