Funding brief: The Right Livelihood Award was established in 1980 to “honour and support courageous people and organizations offering visionary and exemplary solutions to the root causes of global problems”. It has become widely known as the ‘Alternative Nobel Prize’ and there are now 170 Laureates from 69 countries.
Donor Name: The Right Livelihood Award Foundation
Funding name: The Right Livelihood Award
Deadline: The deadline for submission of proposals to be valid for the current year is March, 1st.
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: Not found
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N//A
Project duration: N//A
Eligible organization: As below
● Anyone – except Right Livelihood Award jury and staff members – can propose anyone (individuals or organizations), except themselves, close relatives or their own organizations to be considered for a Right Livelihood Award. The Right Livelihood Award Foundation reserves the right to refuse clearly unsuitable proposals.
● Normally, the Foundation makes three cash awards and one Honorary Award each year. The cash awards are intended for work in progress or the extension of existing activities; they are never given for personal use.
● At the sole discretion of the jury, an unsuccessful candidate may be held over for consideration in the following year. Otherwise an unsuccessful candidate can be proposed again after three years, if there is substantial new work to report.
● They have a strict rule that proposals and candidates for the Right Livelihood Award cannot be publicized. Infringement of this rule will make a candidate liable to disqualification.
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
How to apply: Proposals, preferably written in English, need to be submitted both electronically and as a paper copy via regular mail to our office in Geneva. Please send only one copy, preferably printed double-sided. If possible, use encrypted email (more information in the guideline). Postal Address Right Livelihood Award Foundation Geneva Office Maison de la Paix Chemin Eugène-Rigot 2e, Building 5 1202 Geneva Switzerland
Prospective proposers who have not had previous contact with the Foundation are advised to contact them via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with brief information before making a formal submission.
From the Nominator: The proposer should be someone who knows the proposed person/organization well, is familiar with their aims and goals, and can vouch for their bona fides. No more than one new candidate may be proposed in any one year. The proposer may consult the candidate in advance but may also choose to remain anonymous.
Note: If a proposer chooses not to contact the candidate, please make sure to submit the proposal in good time before the deadline so that the candidate has sufficient time to reply to the questions.
● Full address, e-mail and phone (if available) of self and proposed candidate.
● Nature and length of relationship with the candidate, mentioning professional, financial or political links, if any.
● The proposer’s expertise relevant to this proposal, mentioning his/her occupation.
● Indication, with brief reasons, of whether the proposal is intended for a cash or Honorary Award.
The Honorary Award is for candidates whose primary need is not cash support but who would benefit from the considerable recognition and publicity, which the Right Livelihood Award generates.
● A brief summary (no more than 200 words) of the candidate’s work. This paragraph will be the first information our jury receives about the candidate.
● A statement setting out in more detail the reasons for the proposal and the candidate’s special qualifications for an Award.
● An assurance that the candidate’s work is sufficiently mature to justify a Right Livelihood Award.
An Award is likely to generate enquiries, requests for visits etc., from people wanting to learn about the project. They do not expect candidates to have facilities for visitors or for dealing with large numbers of enquiries, but they do expect them to be ready and able to share their knowledge.
● Wherever possible, information about other individuals/organizations engaged in similar work.
Submission of such information by the proposer is very valuable for the jury in order to make a comparative assessment.
● Wherever possible, the names and contact details of two other qualified individuals or organizations who know the candidate well and who they could contact as references in case they have more questions. At least one of these, again where possible, should come from the candidate’s country of residence.
From the Candidate: The following information is required from the proposed candidate. The candidate may submit this information jointly with the proposer. Otherwise, they will ask the candidate to submit this information after they have received a valid proposal.
● A short history of your work/organization including the duration of relevant activities, number of staff and volunteers. State full address, e-mail and phone.
● Biographical data on yourself/organization’s founders and current leadership, also indicating the date of birth.
● Written material produced by or about your project/organization. Materials submitted cannot be returned. If you wish to submit publications, please send no more than one publication and not more than two different books. Please note that they do not accept audiovisual material.
● Information about the financial situation of your organization: Indicate your current budget and include copies of your most recent financial statements (balance sheet, profit & loss statement, and auditor’s statement), preferably for the past three years.
● Names, addresses and contact persons of the main donors (if any) from which funding has been received in the past three years.
● Details of any financial connection between officers/staff members and the government or a political party.
● A commitment not to publicize the proposal on CVs, websites or in any other way. Please sign this commitment by entering your initials and date.
Visit all Funding opportunities: Click to view
Visit all funding categories: Click to view
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh