Funding brief: The Takagi Fund for Citizen Science (the Takagi Fund, Tokyo, Japan) will invite grant applications for the year 2019 from groups and individuals in Asia pursuing “Citizen Science”.
● Research Grant
Research grants are to support research projects by individuals or groups that befit Citizen Science described here.
The grant may cover research and travel expenses, printing and other outsourcing costs. It may also include funds to hold workshops or symposia to communicate research findings to the public.
● Training Grant
Training Grants are to support an individual receiving training at educational institutions, NGOs, research institutes, etc. that will enhance their expertise as Citizen Scientists and help them gain hands-on experience.
The grant can be used to cover travel, accommodation, tuition or related costs.
The purpose of Takagi Fund is to foster and support independent Citizen Scientists who propose well-founded criticism and scientific counterarguments about problems and threats caused by present-day science and technology. Such criticism and counterarguments can be based on independent research and analysis conducted by citizens themselves with appropriate support from committed experts. The Takagi Fund expects that a true spirit of science, one which opens the way for a sustainable future, should spring up from the voluntary acts of citizens equipped with social awareness, a sense of justice and some essential scientific training, rather than from the occupational activities of “professional” scientists controlled by governments and/or corporate interests. The Takagi Fund encourages applications from young researchers and grassroots groups, NPOs and NGOs in Asia who share in the spirit of Citizen Science and possess a practical mind about opposing technological threats to the people.
Donor Name: The Takagi Fund for Citizen Science
Funding name: No specific fund name
Deadline: The deadline for submission of applications for this round is 17th, September, 2018.
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: Maximum grant amount per application this year is US$5,000. In case your planned research or training activities would cost more than that amount, please contact the Secretariat before submitting an application.
NOTE: The total grant for the year 2019 is JPY 2,000,000, roughly equivalent to US $18,000(at August 2018 rate).
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not found
Project duration: Not found
Eligible organization: As below
● This grant is for individuals or groups from Asian countries and regions who pursue Citizen Science as defined by the Takagi Fund. Applicants are not required to have defined or designated themselves as engaged in Citizen Science prior to application.
What they prefer to fund
● Projects which tackle urgent issues in which science and technology are threatening civil society and environment, and related policy issues.
● Projects which contribute to enhancing human rights, human security, conservation of nature, alternative economy and peace for all citizens without exclusion of the most disadvantaged.
● Projects which have imagination and conceptual power, backed by expertise and appropriate methodology, with planning and budget adequately designed.
● Projects which have a clear and practical vision of how to apply the findings to society or to calling for policy changes.
● Projects dealing with issues for which the Japanese government and/or corporations are partly or fully responsible.
● Projects which are implemented by community-based organizations or in close collaboration with them.
● Projects which are implemented in a peaceful manner employing non-violent means only.
* A comprehensive list of previous grantees can be found at http://www.takagifund.org/e/archives/index.html
What they may not fund
● Project on a topic with a needed level of support which has a high possibility of receiving public funding or support from corporations.
● Project submitted by a large group or a well-established institution that have the ability to secure their own funding sources.
● Project which allocates its budget mainly to outsourcing to other researchers.
● Project which allocates its budget mostly to administrative costs, salaries and campaigns.
Eligible Country: This grant is for individuals or groups from Asian countries and regions who pursue Citizen Science as defined by the Takagi Fund.
Submission mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply: Applications and Inquires to: Satoko Shirai /Shoko Murakami, Secretariat, Asia Program Officer, The Takagi Fund for Citizen Science, 3FArai bld. 4-15 Yotsuya Honshio-cho, Shinjyuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0003 Japan, E-mail: email@example.com, Tel & Fax: +81-3-3358-7064, URL: http://www.takagifund.org/e/apply/index.html
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh