Funding brief: The Women & Gender Constituency invites you to participate in the 2018 Gender Just Climate Solutions Awards!
The Women and Gender Constituency (WGC) is one of the nine stakeholder groups of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Established in 2009, the WGC now consists of 20 women’s and environmental civil society organizations, who are working to ensure that women’s voices and their rights are embedded in all processes and results of the UNFCCC framework, for a sustainable and just future, so that gender equality and women’s human rights are central to the ongoing discussions.
In 2015, the WGC launched it’s first ‘Gender-Just Climate Solutions’ Awards. These awards aim to showcase real solutions for a more just, equal and healthy planet. Previous initiatives recognized have included women-owned and operated energy cooperatives in Germany, female entrepreneurial “energy shop” initiatives in Mozambique, and human rights based relocation planning in the Carteret Islands.
Criteria: Initiatives will be weighed against the following criteria aimed to measure contributions to gender equality, resilience and sustainability. Winning projects will ideally work across all of the key result areas, though the organizers note that not all projects will be in a position / stage to meet each and every criteria. Due to existing inequalities and a lack of available resources globally, priority will be given to women-led initiatives, recognizing that programmes do not necessarily need to be women-led to be gender just.
|Result Area 1||Result Area 2||Result Area 3|
|● Provides equal access to benefits for women, men and youth
● Aims to alleviate and/or does not add additional burden to women’s workload (such as via additional natural resource management or care responsibilities without compensation)
● Empowers women through better mobility/accessibility, enhanced livelihood security, enhanced food security, improved health, access to safe water, etc. (as many benefits as possible)
● Promotes women’s democratic rights and participation by ensuring decision making by local women, men, women’s groups, cooperatives and communities
|● Locally led and/or locally driven (decentralised and appropriate)
● Ensures self-sufficiency & a low input of resources (safe, affordable and sustainable)
● Contributes to climate change mitigation, emissions reduction and/or climate adaptation (the project is sustainable)
|● Results can be shared, spread & scaled up (replicable elsewhere, not just benefiting one individual)
● Shows interlinkages to cross-cutting issues, such as (including, but not restricted to) peace-building, natural resources management, food security and/or health, water and sanitation
Donor Name: The Women & Gender Constituency
Funding name: 2018 Gender Just Climate Solutions Awards
Deadline: Monday, September 10th, 2018 5pm EST
Funding details link: Click to view
Funding limit: Two tiers of ‘Winners’ will be selected:
● Three top ‘Award Winners’ will be identified, one per category. These three winners will each receive a Seed Grant of 2000 Euros; travel for one representative to attend the Awards Ceremony held at COP24 in Katowice, Poland this December 2018; and 1-year of mentorship activities from the members of the Women and Gender Constituency (see here for details).
● The ‘Award Winners’ are invited to a capacity building workshop during COP24 with the previous award winners of the Gender Just Climate Solutions 2015-2017. The workshop is organized together with Climate Technology Centre & Network (CTCN) and it includes training to up-scale their solutions, share their experience and expertise with each other, as well as to network.
● Up to 30 additional ‘Runners-Up’ will be featured in a full color-publication which will be showcased in a high-level international awards ceremony at COP24, as well as be highlighted on the WGC website.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not found
Project duration: Not found
Eligible organization: As below
● All types of activist, grassroots and women-led organizations and groups working on issues related to climate change are encouraged to apply. Only non-governmental initiatives are eligible (local or national government initiatives cannot be considered). The activity/initiative should either already have been completed or should be in current operation. The initiative must fit within one of the 3 award categories.
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
Visit all Funding opportunities: Click to view
Visit all funding categories: Click to view
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh