Funding brief: Climate change needs behavior change. What people eat, what they buy and what they use contributes directly to climate change. In just eight months, humans consume what the earth can sustainably produce in a single year. Nearly two-thirds of global emissions are linked to both direct and indirect forms of human consumption – even conservative estimates for the potential of changing behaviors to reduce consumption of natural resources suggest an enormous contribution to reducing global emissions.
Human behavior is the root cause of climate change. It can also be the solution. But they know that people are more complicated than the narrow solutions we often design to influence them. They can use what we know about human behavior and decision-making to help consumers make climate-friendly choices.
Changing behavior can be hard – but it’s not impossible. Innovators all over the world are already addressing climate change by inspiring individuals, households and communities to change their behavior. The problem is, these grassroots solutions often go unnoticed. This is why they are launching Solution Search: Climate Change Needs Behavior Change – a worldwide contest to find and spotlight solutions that use behavior change to fight climate change.
To inspire people to change, they need innovative solutions that meet them where they are – using the power of emotional appeals, social incentives and choice architecture as expertly as we apply economics and policy.
They are looking for solutions that apply behavior change insights to inspire and enable people to change the way they consume – the way they cook, eat, dispose of waste, purchase goods, travel, and more. What could these solutions look like? Campaigns and efforts that:
● Increase plant-rich diets
● Reduce end-user food waste
● Increase adoption of clean cookstoves
● Increase demand for products such as locally-grown staple trees, crops grown through regenerative or conservation agriculture, kelp or certified sustainable wood
● Reduce consumption of energy, water or relevant products, such as paper or cotton And otherwise reduce greenhouse gas emitting behaviors amongst individuals, households and communities
They have categorized behavior adoption strategies into three core approaches:
● Emotional appeals: Unleash the power of emotions to drive change
● Social incentives: Change social norms to influence adoption
● Choice architecture: Utilize context and timing to support change
The most urgent environmental challenges of our time share one thing in common – to solve them, people have to start behaving differently. Submit your entry and tell us how you’ve made a difference.
Donor Name: Solution Search, Rare
Funding name: No specific fund name
Deadline: Applications must be submitted by August, 7th, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. ET.
Funding details link: https://solutionsearch.org/contest/climate-change-needs-behavior-change
● Finalists: Trip to Workshop and Awards Ceremony
● Early entrant prize: $5,000
● Grand prize: $25,000
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N//A
Project duration: N//A
Eligible organization: As below
● Solution Search is open to all organizations who have a proven solution in working with people to adopt climate-friendly behaviors.
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Apply: https://solutionsearch.org/user/login?destination=eform/submit/nomination-form
● Form (Proposal): https://solutionsearch.org/file/4533/download?token=pEXLuB_w
● About: https://solutionsearch.org/about-solution-search
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (https://solutionsearch.org/user/login?destination=eform/submit/nomination-form).
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Visit all funding categories: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/how-to/access-funding-short-cut/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh