Funding brief: First of its kind, this global award comes as an expression of the firm faith of His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, King of Bahrain, in young people’s potential to lead their countries and the world towards a better shared future of peace and prosperity for all people on a healthy and renewable planet, as envisioned by the world’s most ambitious plan to transform our world – The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The award recognizes young people’s endeavour to be effective and productive citizens, contributing to the welfare of their communities and environment, as well as institutions that improve the enabling environment and infrastructure for youth to make an impact, in all United Nations Member States.
The kingdom of Bahrain believes that investing in the capabilities, energies and ingenuity of young people brings about the best yields for sustainable development and future well-being of any nation.
That is why, at the national level, the kingdom prioritizes pioneering initiatives that help youth enhance their capabilities, through training, skill-building, and experience-exchange, and expand their opportunities to choose a future that they desire and to contribute to the welfare of their community.
Young people make up one-third of the world’s population. They are an incredible force for the future. The have unprecedented access to education, knowledge and scientific advancements and they are more connected through information and communication technologies than ever before.
The Kingdom of Bahrain offers a set of in the field of youth empowerment and skills development stemming from the Kingdom’s great faith in youths as they are the engine and the main motive of the developmental process, and that they are the mean and purpose of development. Thus, we must continue to invest in young people. They are the world’s best bet to delivering on vision of Agenda 2030 and fulfilling the promise of the SDGs to leave no one behind, in world that is more equitable and free of want.
The award was first launched during the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Youth Forum, in January 2017. The awarding ceremony for that year took place in the Kingdom of Bahrain, in January 2018.
As of the 2018 Award Cycle, the King Hamad Award for Youth Empowerment to achieve the SDGs will have two main categories; one for youth action, granting 5 Awards, and a second for youth enablers granting 3 Awards.
● Highlight the centrality of empowering young people in the pursuit of a better future for all: The KHA underscores the important roles that young people can play in the development process and the great dividends of investing in youth initiatives to achieve sustainable development. Our aim is to motivate all sectors of government, society and the economy, without exceptions to work with and invest in youth, nurture their creativity and enable them to bring these ideas to fruition.
● Inspire impactful action for sustainable development by young people worldwide: The KHA has a steadfast belief in the capacity and ingenuity of young people to create innovative solutions to the world’s most difficult challenges of sustainable development. They also believe that recognizing unique and successful development innovations by youth can provide an important motive for others to emulate, adapt and follow suit, to be catalysts for change for the good in their communities.
● Encourage initiatives enabling genuine youth engagement & action for sustainable development: The KHA recognizes accomplishments of institutions, organizations and individuals that take deliberate action to expand the space for young people’s engagement in their communities and enable them to make an impact on sustainable development. Enablers are not often the focus of attention, yet their actions are critical to young people’s success. We hope that casting a spotlight on enablers will encourage greater support for youth and for sustainable development.
Donor Name: Ministry of Youth and Sports Affairs in the Kingdom of Bahrain
Funding name: The King Hamad Award for Youth Empowerment
Deadline: 30th, October, 2018
Funding details link: https://www.kinghamadaward.com/about
● The King Hamad Youth Empowerment Award in the youth action category is worth $20,000 and the NGOs/Foundations in the Youth Enablers category is worth $25,000, to be submitted as a one-time grant in full after the awarding ceremony.
● Flights and accommodation will be paid by MYS for each of the 8 winners.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N//A
Project duration: N//A
Eligible organization: As below
● Applicants could be individual youth above the age of 15 years and below the age of 30 years; a youth-led entity (defined as any entity, in which at least 50% of current management/leadership is below age of 30); or a youth-focused entity (defined as any entity, in which at least 90% of resources serve youth above 15 and below 30 years of age).
● Each of the possible 5 awards will recognize a unique and successful development initiative by youth in one of the 5 key aspects of sustainable development covered in Agenda 2030, namely:
People: Ending poverty and hunger in all forms;
Prosperity: Ensuring prosperous and fulfilling lives in harmony with nature;
Planet: Protecting our planet’s natural resources and climate for future generations;
Peace: Fostering peaceful, just and inclusive societies; and
Partnership: Forging solid partnerships to implement Agenda 2030
Eligible Country: This category is open to applicants from all UN member states.
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Apply: https://www.kinghamadaward.com/application/app/signup.php?category=1
● Guideline: https://www.kinghamadaward.com/general-terms-and-conditions.php
● About: https://www.kinghamadaward.com/about
● FAQ: https://www.kinghamadaward.com/faqs.php
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (https://www.kinghamadaward.com/application/app/signup.php?category=1).
● All applications must be submitted in English
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Visit all funding categories: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/how-to/access-funding-short-cut/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh