Funding brief: World Water Challenge is an international contest for water solutions. As a follow up activity of the 7th World Water Forum in 2015, it has been annually held in conjunction with the Korea International Water Week(KIWW), aiming to discover imminent water problems that world is facing and to find feasible solutions to them.
World Water Challenge 2018 will be held as one of the signature programs of KIWW 2018 which will take place in September in Daegu Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea. This 4th edition of World Water Challenge is expected to serve its role as an important platform to share the ideas and know-hows towards solving the defined water issues around the world and to forge a broad network among the water-related experts and stakeholders.
The World Water Challenge is an international contest for water solutions. It was created as a special program of the Science and Technology Process in the 7th World Water Forum to identify imminent water problems that the world is facing and to find feasible solutions keeping in mind “Implementation”, the core value of the 7th World Water Forum. The Program aimed to present science and technology that are applicable to the real world and come up with optimal solutions to water problems. Since the great success of the 1st event in 2015, the program has become one of the symbolic platforms of implementation which has been followed up in the Korea International Water Week over 3 years, focusing on science and technological methods that have contributed to the world’s awareness on the importance of role of science and technology in solving water challenges.
This year, the World Water Challenge 2018 (WWCH 2018) will take place as one of the signature programs of the Korea International Water Week (KIWW) in September in Daegu Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea. This 4th edition of World Water Challenge is expected to serve its role as an important platform to share the innovative ideas and know-hows towards solving the defined water issues around the world and to forge a broad network among the experts and stakeholders in water sector as well as the diverse pool of problem owners and solution providers.
Topic 1: Efficient Water Management (SDGs links: SDG 6.4 Water Use Efficiency)
● Urban water efficiency
● Agricultural water efficiency
● Industrial water efficiency
● Energy efficiency in water and waste water systems
Keywords: sustainable water resources management, water resources security, water production improvement technology, water supply management, water and industry, water-energy-food nexus, water resources development, trans-boundary water resources management, dam and river system operation
Topic 2: Resource Recovery from Water and Wastewater Systems (SDGs links: 6.1 Safe Water, 6.2 Sanitation)
● Water recycling and reuse technologies
● Energy production from water and waste water cycles
● Nutrient recovery from waste water
Keywords: water and wastewater treatment technology, safe and clean technology for drinking water, sanitation and health science, sea water desalination, water-energy production technology, renewable energy, total water pollution load management, river quality management, hydropower technology
Topic 3: Water and Natural Disasters (SDGs links: 11.5 Reduction of Economic & Human Losses)
● Climate change assessment and adaptation
● Drought analysis and management
● Urban floods and damage reduction
● Remote sensing and GIS applications to natural hazards
Keywords: climate change scenarios and prediction, drought analysis and management, water resources risk scenarios, risk assessment and adaptation, water and disasters, water related composite hazards, coastal disaster and tsunami, urban floods and resilience
Topic 4: Smart Water Technologies (SDGs links: 6.5 IWRM)
● Management of urban, industry, and irrigation water
● Implementation of integrated water resources management
● Design and implementation of smart water grid
● Information and communication technologies for water management
Keywords: water and creative economy, smart water management, smart disaster management system, smart agricultural water management, standardized smart water grid technology, water management information systems, RS and GIS applications for securing water resources, best management practices of IWRM, advanced water governance through multi-directional information system.
Topic 5: Ecosystem and Water (SDGs links: 6.6 Water & Ecosystems)
● Science and technology for green infrastructure management
● Economic valuation on ecosystem and water
● Effects of ecosystem on water quality
Keywords: water and environment, water and green growth, vulnerability analysis for water environments, marine ecology and sea level rise, wetland conservation and restoration, green infrastructure.
Donor Name: Korea Water Forum
Funding name: World Water Challenge 2018
● Problems: Problems can be submitted from April, 23rd to June, 1st, 2018.
* The Judging committee will select up to 5 problems in accordance with the selection criteria and announce them on the KIWW website before June 11, 2018.
● Solutions: Solutions can be submitted from June, 11th to July, 30th, 2018.
* Submitted solution proposals will be evaluated by the judging committee in accordance with the evaluation criteria and up to 6 selected solution providers will be invited to the final round during the KIWW 2018.
Funding details link: https://kiww.org/fairContents.do?FAIRMENU_IDX=5815&hl=EN
Funding limit: The total prize amount for the World Water Challenge 2018 is KRW 16,000,000. The Award Ceremony will be held on September 14 at the closing ceremony of KIWW 2018 and the winners will be presented with a cash prize and trophy respectively.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not found
Project duration: Not found
Eligible organization: As below
● Problem owner: anyone (as an individual or on behalf of an organization) who is interested in water or is suffering from water problems is welcome to participate in the program.
● Solution provider: Anyone (as an individual or on behalf of an organization) who is interested in water or would like to propose creative/applicable solutions is welcome to participate in the program.
* Persons (including winners) who participated once (and more) in the previous WWCH are allowed to participate in the WWHC 2018 with the different (or updated) subject and ideas. (If the same contents and ideas, will not be considered.)
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Apply: https://kiww.org/fairLogin.do?hl=ENG
● Guideline: https://kiww.org/home/2017/kiww/Files/Guideline%20for%20World%20Water%20Challenge%202018.pdf
● Form (Proposal): https://kiww.org/home/2017/kiww/Files/WWCH2018_Solution_Country_Full%20Name.docx
● Leaflet: https://kiww.org/home/2017/kiww/Files/WWCH%202018_Leaflet_Eng_.pdf
How to apply: Both problem owners and solution providers are kindly requested to submit their proposals through the online submission system via the KIWW official website (https://kiww.org/fairLogin.do?hl=ENG) using the provided application form. Please make sure that all submissions must be filled out in English. Other languages are not acceptable.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Visit all funding categories: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/how-to/access-funding-short-cut/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh