Funding brief: At Facebook, they strive to build communities across the globe and bring the world closer together. To do so, we need to reduce the barrier for everyone to participate, regardless of their backgrounds and abilities.
Lack of literacy skills has been shown as one of the top challenges for people to adopt technologies and take part in the social communications online. Although, as a whole, they have made a lot of progress in education and literacy over the past 5 decades, as of 2014, there were still 758 million adults – two-thirds of which are women – lacking basic reading and writing skills.
Facebook is pleased to invite the academic community to respond to this call for research proposals to better understand and address global literacy and accessibility issues. Research awardees will be expected to contribute to the field of literacy and accessibility through qualitative or quantitative research, including, but not limited to:
● Novel, scalable methods on assessing individual or population literacy levels.
● Understanding the experiences and challenges associated with literacy issues, eg learning disabilities or barriers due to English as a second language.
● Understanding the social, structural, and technology issues that prevent people from improving literacy skills.
● Understanding the impact of literacy skills on individuals and society.
● Digital, social technologies used to improve literacy level, especially, closing the gender gap in literacy rate.
● Design and development of technologies to elevate the literacy barrier, preferably with a focus on social and AI technologies.
● Applicants should submit a two-page proposal outlining their intended research and a budget overview of how the funding will be used. Additionally, participants need to submit a research timeline with quarterly milestones.
Donor Name: Facebook
Funding name: Global Literacy & Accessibility Challenge
Deadline: Applications close July, 25th, 2018, at 11:59pm PST.
Funding limit: Awards will be made up to $30K USD per proposal for projects up to one year in duration beginning August 2018. No Facebook data will be provided to award recipients. Successful proposals will demonstrate innovative and compelling research that has the potential to significantly deepen the scientific understanding on literacy issues and lower the socio-technological barriers for people with limited literacy skills. Award amounts will be determined at the sole discretion of the evaluation committee. Participants will be required to demonstrate milestone completion and present their research results at the sixth-month mark (January 2019). They will award four research awards.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not found
Project duration: One year
Eligible organization: As below
● Facebook is pleased to invite the academic community to respond to this call for research proposals to better understand and address global literacy and accessibility issues.
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Apply: https://research.fb.com/programs/research-awards/proposals/global-literacy-accessibility-challenge-request-for-proposals/
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (https://research.fb.com/programs/research-awards/proposals/global-literacy-accessibility-challenge-request-for-proposals/).
Proposals should include:
● A summary of the project (1-2 pages) explaining the area of focus, a description of techniques, any relevant prior work, and a timeline with milestones and expected outcomes.
● A draft budget description (1 page) including an approximate cost of the award and explanation of how funds would be spent
● Curriculum Vitae for all project participants.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Visit all funding categories: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/how-to/access-funding-short-cut/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh