Funding brief: The Intersex Human Rights Fund supports organizations, projects and timely campaigns led by intersex activists working to ensure the human rights, bodily autonomy, physical integrity and self-determination of intersex people.
Astraea launched the Intersex Human Rights Fund in 2015 to honor the resilience, creativity and growth of intersex activism and to ensure the human rights of intersex people.
They recognize that the entrenched practice of organizing the world into the sex binary and gender binary has alarming and rights-violating consequences for intersex bodies. People with intersex variations face invisibility, stigma, discrimination and violence. Intersex babies and children are widely subjected to normalizing, non-consensual, harmful surgeries and other medical interventions, with life-long consequences, including sterilization and genital mutilation. There are very few legal frameworks to protect intersex people from multiple forms of discrimination and institutional violence. While intersex activism has been growing around the world, intersex issues and communities remain starkly under-funded, receiving less than a fraction of 1% of global foundation funding for LGBTQI people and/or women and girls.
The Intersex Human Rights Fund supports organizations, projects and timely campaigns led by intersex activists working to ensure the human rights, bodily autonomy, physical integrity and self-determination of intersex people. Given the dearth of funding to intersex issues globally, intersex groups/projects based anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
Donor Name: Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
Funding name: The Intersex Human Rights Fund
Deadline: 6th, April, 2018
Funding details link: https://www.astraeafoundation.org/apply/intersex-human-rights-fund/
● Grants will range from US$3,000 – US$10,000.
● General support: Funds that can cover any and all costs in an organization’s budget, including expenses such as salaries and rent, equipment, training and staff needs, that help build the organizational and programmatic capacity of the group to carry out its work. This support can be used for any purpose that helps your group achieve its mission.
● Project support: Funds that can be used for a specific program or project that will help a group pursue its objectives. A project is a time-bound activity or set of activities. Project support can pay for a mixture of items within a project budget, including a contribution towards administrative costs.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not found
Project duration: Not found
Eligible organization: As below
● Astraea particularly seeks proposals from intersex activists who have never applied for a grant or received foundation funding. Groups with small or no budgets, staff or structures are eligible and encouraged to apply.
Consideration for funding will be limited to groups that:
● Are led by and for intersex people. Groups led by intersex people will be prioritized. Intersex projects of broader organizations (eg. T/I, LGBTI, human rights, women’s rights, health rights, disability rights) are eligible if the project is led by intersex people.
● Utilize social, cultural, artistic, political, legal and/or institutional change strategies to advance the rights of people with intersex variations, including the following aims:
Ensure bodily integrity, physical autonomy and self-determination
Ensure access to information, counseling and support
End invisibility and break isolation
End stigma and discrimination
End medical and other forms of institutional violence against intersex people, at all stages of life
Build legal frameworks to ensure protection of human rights and reparative justice
Strengthen human rights approaches, including use of international and regional mechanisms
Produce critical knowledge on intersex issues
Create celebratory approaches to intersex issues
Strengthen the intersex human rights movement
Priority will be given to groups or projects that:
● Have active participation and leadership from the communities most affected by issues that the group works on
● Are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the geographic region in which they do their work
● Show an understanding of the connections among different oppressions facing intersex people, and have a commitment to address other forms of oppression based on class, race, ethnicity, age, physical and mental ability, gender, sexuality, national identity, and religious affiliation
● Develop leadership and build communities’ capacity to achieve social change, particularly through proposals that strengthen an organization’s ability to organize
● Work in alliance and/or builds coalition with other social justice organizations (e.g. sex worker rights, LGBTQ rights, disability rights, children’s rights, etc.)
● Have organizational structures and practices in place that reflect social justice principles
● Have limited access to traditional sources of funding
Astraea does not fund:
● Organizations with no leadership of the people affected by the issues the group works on
● Private business or profit-making efforts (including business development)
● Individual projects (e.g. graduate research, fellowships, etc.)
● Projects that are sponsored by a university, college, or other academic institution
● Groups whose sole purpose is to provide charity to individuals, direct social service projects, research projects, or one-time events that are not linked to ongoing social change organizing strategies.
● Efforts that endorse candidates for public office (incl. political parties and election campaigns)
● Capital campaigns, endowments, or deficit financing
● Organizations with budgets of over USD $500,000
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Form: https://s3.amazonaws.com/astraea.production/app/asset/uploads/2018/03/Intersex-Fund-RFP-4th-cycle_2018-English.docx
● Budget: https://s3.amazonaws.com/astraea.production/app/asset/uploads/2018/03/IHRF-Budget-Sheet-Template-for-RFP-2018_English-1.xlsx
How to apply:
● They accept proposals in English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese and Russian. They make grants with the support of our Intersex Fund Advisory Board, a body of six intersex activists covering all regions of the world who inform our grantmaking strategies and decisions.
● Please contact with the donor directly to know the details for submitting the project.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Visit all funding categories: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/how-to/access-funding-short-cut/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh