Funding brief: The Internews Earth Journalism Network (EJN) Asia-Pacific Story Grants are available to support the production of in-depth stories that provide information that can empower communities at risk of environmental and climate change impacts to make better decisions about their options and build their resilience.
● Expected story lengths
● Long-form Narrative: 2,500 to 5,000 words
● News Article: 500 to 1,200 words
● Multimedia Package: Video piece around 2-6 minutes in length with possible graphics, photos, text, maps
Themes: They welcome all story ideas that capture the efforts of vulnerable local communities – particularly women, youth and indigenous peoples – to adapt to challenges posed by the changing environment or climate. In view of the common bias among media outlets to report on problems, they encourage stories that report on solutions and the coping strategies of vulnerable communities. Given the technicality that often comes with environmental journalism, they are also interested in stories that collect data and information on the causes and impacts of environmental and climate change, and report on them in a compelling and easy-to-understand fashion.
They encourage applicants to turn global issues into local stories that are relevant to local audiences, or on the other hand, report on local or regional environmental issues in a way that can attract attention at an international level. Finally, they are keen to support stories with the potential of informing policy decisions related to domestic or regional environmental protection, such as regional cooperation on climate change and other transboundary environmental issues.
Donor Name: The Internews Earth Journalism Network (EJN)
Funding name: Asia-Pacific Story Grants
Deadline: February, 23rd, 2018 AT 5 PM EST
Funding limit: EJN is offering grants up to $2,000 depending on the proposal and method of coverage, with some flexibility for in-depth stories using innovative and investigative approaches that may be more costly to produce. Applicants should provide a detailed budget with justification for the amount requested. They expect that proposals will largely reflect what equipment the applicant already has access to (including cameras, drones, lighting, tripods, etc.) and will not consider budgets that heavily focus on procuring new supplies.
They also encourage the use of multimedia and different media platforms to present and disseminate the stories. Applicants for long-form and multimedia narratives should include plans and budget for accompanying multimedia elements (i.e. video, photos) and distribution channels in their pitch. In the case that applicants will only pitch stories to media outlets after the stories are completed, they should outline the plan for distributing the reports.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N/A
Project duration: N/A
Eligible organization: As below
● Journalists (online, print, television, radio) and other expert media practitioners with a track record of reporting on climate change, natural resource management and other environmental issues are welcome to apply. They encourage freelancers and staff from all types of media outlets – both large and small – to submit applications. Grantees are free to publish or broadcast their stories in other media as long as Internews and SIDA are also given rights to publish, broadcast and distribute them freely.
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions)
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Apply: http://earthjournalism.net/opportunities/asia-pacific-story-grants-2018-application-folder/++add++ejn_asia_pacific_story_grants_
● Register: http://earthjournalism.net/@@register
● Format (Budget): http://earthjournalism.net/projects/program-section-images/ejn-grants-blank-budget-form
How to apply:
● Interested applicant may apply through the website (http://earthjournalism.net/opportunities/asia-pacific-story-grants-2018-application-folder/++add++ejn_asia_pacific_story_grants_).
● Stories can be done in English or local languages, or both. Applicants who intent to write or produce stories in local languages, the English translation of the product should be provides. Please include the cost for translation in the budget, if necessary.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Visit all funding categories: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/how-to/access-funding-short-cut/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh