Funding brief: The GIST Tech-I Competition is an annual competition for science and technology entrepreneurs from emerging economies worldwide. Aspiring innovators submit their ideas and startups online which are then reviewed by experts and voted on by the global voting public in order to determine the finalists. New this year, U.S. Department of State is inviting all former GIST Tech-I finalists to participate in the program to recruit and mentor the next generation of science and tech entrepreneurs.
New this year, past GIST Tech-I finalists will play an active role in soliciting, selecting and mentoring the 2018 Tech-I participants. Throughout the course of the competition, the past finalists will function as Alumni Mentors who work with competitors to improve their ideas and perfect their pitch. New 2018 applicants will be able to choose which Alumni Mentor they want to work with when they apply to the competition. Alumni Mentors will then select the best applications from the 2018 applicant pool to move on to the semi-finals. Those semi-finalists will then compete in a global public vote. The top 10 semi-finalists with the most public votes, along with their Alumni Mentors will advance to the Tech-I finals during the 2018 Global Entrepreneurship Congress in Istanbul, Turkey. At the finals, competing entrepreneurs will pitch their startups to a global audience with the chance to win prizes and seed capital.
Since 2011, innovators from around the globe have showcased their science and technology ventures to the world through GIST Tech-I Competitions. Thousands of expert reviews have taken place and the online voting public has cast over 1 million votes in support of these talented young innovators.
The GIST initiative is led by the U.S. Department of State, and the Tech-I competition is implemented by The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
Donor Name: The U. S. Department of State’s Global Innovation through Science and Technology (GIST)
Funding name: The GIST Tech-I Competition
Deadline: December, 28th, 2017 at 12:00 PM US ET
Funding details link: http://www.gistnetwork.org/content/gist-tech-i
Global exposure. Last year’s semi-finalists received more than 430,000 votes from all over the world and were featured by numerous local, national, and international media outlets. Several even met or were mentioned by their heads of state.
Marketing and networking support from the AAAS Team, including the provision of voting graphics, and guidance on reaching out to media outlets.
All-expenses-paid trip to Istanbul, Turkey to pitch their project and network with entrepreneurs and investors at GEC 2018.
Opportunity to attend several pre-finals training webinars on topics such as pitching to investors, business models, and intellectual topic.
One day of intensive training and mentoring in Istanbul before the finals.
Opportunity to win seed capital prizes and other prizes during final pitch contest. Prize amounts will be published closer to the finals.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N/A
Project duration: N/A
Eligible organization: As below
Eligibility: Applicants must meet ALL of the following eligibility requirements:
● The applicant must be 18-40 years old on the application deadline, December, 28th, 2017.
● The applicant must be a citizen of at least one of the 136 GIST-eligible emerging economies.
● The applicant must not hold dual-citizenship or permanent resident status in a non-GIST economy.
● The applicant must not submit more than one application per GIST Tech-I competition year.
● The applicant must not be a previous GIST Tech-I finalist who traveled to and competed in the GIST Tech-I Finals at GES.
In addition to meeting the applicant requirements above, applications must to be for Ideas or Startups that met ALL of the following requirements:
● The application must be the original work of the Idea or Startup applicant.
● The Idea or Startup must be developing an innovative science or technology solution with market potential in a GIST-eligible economy.
● The Idea or Startup must be for-profit. Applications from non-profit ventures or NGOs are not eligible and will not be reviewed.
● The Startup must be less than three years old.
● The Idea or Startup must be, at least in part based, in a GIST-eligible economy (http://www.gistnetwork.org/content/gist-countries).
● The Idea or Startup must be developing or selling products and services that use its own innovations in science and technology. Applications from organizations that buy and resell technologies will not be reviewed.
● The Idea or Startup must not submit more than one application per GIST Tech-I competition year.
Eligible Country: The Idea or Startup must be developing an innovative science or technology solution with market potential in a GIST-eligible economy (http://www.gistnetwork.org/content/gist-countries).
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Apply: http://www.gistnetwork.org/user/register?destination=node/add/competition-entry?field_related_competition=47823&field_competition_landing_page=47823
● About: http://www.gistnetwork.org/content/about-gist
● Guideline: http://www.gistnetwork.org/sites/default/files/2018%20GIST%20Tech-I%20Competition%20Announcement%20Final.pdf
● FAQ: https://www.gistnetwork.org/content/faq-advice#eligibility
● GIST-eligible economy (http://www.gistnetwork.org/content/gist-countries).
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (http://www.gistnetwork.org/user/register?destination=node/add/competition-entry?field_related_competition=47823&field_competition_landing_page=47823).
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Visit all funding categories: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/how-to/access-funding-short-cut/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh