Funding brief: The overall objective of the research grant program is to increase research capacity especially of the young researchers and generate local evidence to support effective tobacco control measures in the country, and thus prevent death and disease from tobacco use.
Bangladesh Center for Communication Programs (BCCP) in collaboration with the Institute for Global Tobacco Control at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA is putting much emphasis on increasing research capacity and generating local evidence for effective tobacco control policy measures. The Research Grant Program which is the first of its kind in Bangladesh was initiated in 2013 with 10 research grants. The outcomes of many studies were very encouraging. Postgraduate students and individual researchers aspiring to contribute to tobacco control policy research in Bangladesh are eligible to apply for a research grant. BCCP provides technical assistance, as and when required, to ensure completion of the research within the timeframe and with quality outcomes. The findings of the research projects are presented at a Tobacco Control Research Conference.
BCCP has been implementing the Tobacco Control Research Grant Program since 2013. Under the Research Grant Program, seventy research grants have been supported to date through five grant cycles. During each grant cycle, the potential research applicants submitted proposals following the World Health Organization’s MPOWER package. Proposals on the research topics below are requested for the 2018 Tobacco Control Policy Research Grant Program.
Focus Research Areas:
Monitor tobacco use and prevention policies:
● Smokeless tobacco (SLT)
– Use of smokeless tobacco products
– Hazards of SLT and cultural dimension
– Marketing Policy in Bangladesh
– Role in initiation of smoking
● Tobacco Industry Accountability (FCTC Article 5.3)
● Tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship (TAPS)
● Gaps in existing tobacco control law
● Barriers in implementation of tobacco control law
Protect people from tobacco smoke:
● Compliance in public places/ transportation
● Smoke free environments
– Smoke-free work places
– Smoke-free housing society
● Protect mother & child from tobacco smoke
Warn about the dangers of tobacco:
● Graphic Health Warnings (GHW)
– Effectiveness of GHW
– Compliance of GHW on tobacco products
– Coverage of GHW on Tobacco products
– GHW & tobacco initiation
Enforce ban on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship:
● Tobacco advertising
– Point of Sale
– Compliance of Media industries with TAPS Bans (Mainstreaming media/social media) ● Compliance with TAPS Ban
● Regulating retail tobacco
– Tobacco retail licensing
Raise taxes on tobacco:
● Tobacco tax policy in Bangladesh
● Raising of tax and brand switching
● Tax on smokeless tobacco products
● Tobacco taxation and smoking behavior
● Health hazards and tobacco cultivation
● Land use for Tobacco Farming
● Alternative livelihood for tobacco farmers
Donor Name: Bangladesh Center for Communication Programs (BCCP)
Funding name: Bangladesh Tobacco Control Policy Research Grant Program 2018
Deadline: No later than 4.30 p.m. on January, 04th, 2018 (Bangladesh Time)
Funding details link: http://bangladesh-ccp.org/news/uch9clx7/research-grants-in-tobacco-control
Funding limit: The grant value for the Student category is US$ 5000 and for the Researcher category is US$ 10,000.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: The program will commence in February, 2018.
Project duration: Each selected proposal will receive a grant for a nine-month research project.
Eligible organization: As below
● Student Category:
The student should be enrolled in a postgraduate program in Bangladesh.
Applicant should be available in the country throughout the research period.
● Researcher Category:
Researchers having a Masters, M.Phil, or Ph.D. degree and affiliated with any university, institution or organization in Bangladesh. The applicant must submit a No Objection Letter from the applicant’s respective organization to carry out the research once it is selected.
Researchers must be available in the country throughout the research period.
Applicants must have at least 3 years of research experience and have demonstrated their ability to conduct a research study independently:
– Applicants must have at least one research publication as a first author. Evidence to prove research publication must be submitted with the application.
– A list of research studies mentioning the roles of the applicants must be submitted on a separate page.
Eligible Country: Bangladesh
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Guideline: http://www.bangladesh-ccp.org/assets/images/news/Proposal_Submission_Theme_and_Guideline_Final.pdf
How to apply: Interested applicants are requested to submit their proposals following the guidelines available at http://www.bangladesh-ccp.org/assets/images/news/Proposal_Submission_Theme_and_Guideline_Final.pdf In the case of student applicants, proof of current university enrollment must also be submitted. Three hard copies and an electronic version of the proposal in a CD should be submitted to the following address no later than January 04, 2018. Please mark the category “Student” or “Researcher” on top of the envelope. BCCP Tobacco Control Research Grant Program, House # 08, Road # 03, Block- A, Section -11, Mirpur, Dhaka-1216, Bangladesh, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.bangladesh-ccp.org
● Documents to be submitted: Three (3) hard copies of the proposal with an electronic copy on a CD and the following documents must be submitted:
Student applicant must be enrolled as a student at any recognized university or§ educational institution in Bangladesh. A proof of enrollment must be submitted with the proposal.
● The applicant should submit a consent letter from his/her Supervisor/Mentor§ confirming the following:
– The Supervisor/Mentor will oversee all components of the research activity
– Be available to attend research project related meeting(s) as and when required
– Ensure the quality of the research including research report
– Mention that s/he is providing a consent letter for not more than one applicant for the 2018 Research Grant Program
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Visit all funding categories: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/how-to/access-funding-short-cut/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh