Funding brief: The Misk Foundation and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation aim to empower the youth and prepare them for success in the future knowledge economy. Great opportunities exist as technologies and industries advance faster than ever before. But disruptive technologies, such as artificial intelligence, also present challenges. Industries will undergo major transformations and according to the McKinsey Global Institute, approximately half of all jobs today may be lost to automation across the developing and developed world. Moreover, major societal issues that face humanity, such as inequality and climate change, continue to spread in a complex manner.
They are looking for new innovative ideas that transform teaching or school leadership to better prepare children with the 21st century skills they need to succeed in the future. Modern 21st century skills, such as problem solving, leadership, creativity, and adaptability, require a new active, student-centred system for learning. They seek ideas that better prepare teachers and school leaders to drive this new active 21st century system for learning.
● Ideas may cover one or more of the following areas that impact teaching and/or school leadership
● Reinventing the recruitment process how can schools attract the best people for the role? How are the people with the highest potential identified and selected?
● Transforming training and professional development how are new recruits prepared with essential basic skills? How is their craft further refined and enhanced over time? How is technology used to support growth? What other resources or tools be used to enhance development? How can mentoring and collaboration be leveraged more?
● Improving resources that support high-quality learning how can technology improve performance? How can teaching aids be transformed in line with learning 21st century skills? What other new resources can teachers leverage to improve lesson delivery?
● New forms of management how can new management systems and practices maximize performance? How can monitoring and incentives be effectively implemented?
● Any other area that drastically improves the performance of teachers and school leaders in line with the new competency-based curriculum of the future
Funding criteria: All proposals must
● Be aligned with the challenge outlined above and greatly improve teaching and/or school leadership
● Improve the quality of learning with regards to 21st century skills for children around the world
● Outline the design of the solution to clearly explain how it will work
● Have a plan for using the US$100,000 in 12-18 months to advance the solution.
● Have an implementation plan to ensure the solution is successfully delivered, including a plan for a strong leadership team and implementing organization
● Have a logical path to scale to help millions of children in an efficient manner. This includes measures for maintaining a lean approach and replicating whilst maintaining quality
In addition, proposals will be prioritized if they:
● Are novel and deploy a unique approach or innovative method to solving the problem
● Have a path toward sustainability either through private or government funding
● Show a deep understanding of the education system in which they operate and outline ideas for integration, that leverages the rest of the system, for greater impact
Donor Name: Misk Foundation
Funding name: No specific fund name
Deadline: Wednesday, May, 2nd, 2018 11:30 a.m. U.S. Pacific Daylight Time
Funding details link: http://miskgrandchallenges.org/education_challenge.html
Funding limit: They are looking for new ideas that may just be in an ideation stage or may have been tested in a small scale already, but require up to US$100,000 to demonstrate their theory of change and potential for impact. Proposals that are selected to receive an initial funding of US$100,000 and go on to demonstrate success will receive further funding to scale up and impact lives across the world.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: November, 2018
Project duration: 12-18 months
Eligible organization: As below
● Misk Grand Challenges is open to both foreign and domestic organizations, including non-profit organizations, for profit companies, international organizations, government agencies, and academic institutions.
● Upon registration, applicants must provide information about the tax status of their organization as different terms and conditions may apply. You should confirm your organization’s tax status with the appropriate person or group within your organization such as your grants or contracts department, finance, or office of sponsored research. Please select the tax status that most closely reflects your current organization’s status. The foundations may request additional information regarding your tax status and other organizational information. For information about tax statuses, you may check with your own advisors and refer to information provided on the Internal Revenue Service web site at: www.irs.gov .
● Applicants planning to conduct project activities in India may be required to register with the Ministry of Home Affairs under the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act of 2010 (FCRA). As part of the foundations’ diligence we may ask for a copy of your organization’s registration under FCRA or a written certification that your organization is exempt from such registration requirements. Failure to comply with the requirements of FCRA may subject your organization to financial and/or criminal penalties. You should consult with your own advisors to determine whether FCRA applies to your organization or project.
Eligible Country: No country bar found (Open to all regions). Please contact with the donor for further clarification for country eligibility.
Submission mail: Not found
Other important link:
● Apply: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/miskeducation
● FAQ: http://miskgrandchallenges.org/resources.html
● Form: http://miskgrandchallenges.org/ressources/Application_Form.pdf
● Guideline: http://miskgrandchallenges.org/ressources/MCG%20Rules%20and%20Guidelines.pdf
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the website (https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/miskeducation).
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh