Funding brief: UNESCO MAB Young Scientists Awards is helping young people help the planet.
Since 1989 MAB has been providing young researchers each year with awards of up to US$ 5,000 in support of their research on ecosystems, natural resources and biodiversity. Through the MAB Young Scientists Awards, MAB is investing in a new generation of scientists worldwide because we think well-trained and committed young people are key to addressing ecological and sustainability issues.
The International Coordinating Council of the Man and the Biosphere Programme (MAB-ICC) at its 29th session on 12-15 June 2017 adopted the new criteria and conditions for the selection of MAB Young Scientists Award winners in order to address the Lima Action Plan (LAP) for Biosphere Reserves and relevant Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in applications.
The objectives of the MAB Young Scientists Award Scheme are to:
● Encourage young scientists, in particular those from developing countries, to use MAB research, project sites and biosphere reserves in their research;
● Encourage young scientists who already use such sites to undertake comparative studies in other sites in or outside their own country;
● Promote and encourage the exchange of information and experience among a new generation of scientists;
● Strengthen communication of the LAP within the young scientists and strengthen its visibility;
● Involve young scientist in the implementation of the LAP;
● Enhance awareness among young scientists of the role of research in the implementation of the SDGs – in particular when conducted in biosphere reserves.
Donor Name: UNESCO
Funding name: UNESCO MAB Young Scientists Awards
Deadline: The deadline for submission of application forms for the 2018 MAB Young Scientists Awards is 15 December 2017.
Funding limit: Awards are set at a maximum of US $5,000 each.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: N/A
Project duration: Research supported by an Award should be completed within 2 years.
Eligible organization: As below
● To be eligible, award applications must be made on the MAB Young Scientists Award application form (in English or French) and follow-up technical requirements stated there. The application must be endorsed by the applicant’s MAB National Committee*, which may endorse only two applications per year from applicants who are not older than 35 years of age (at the closing date of the application).
● Applications must contain concise information on past and existing research in areas concerned in order to present linkages and avoid duplications and financing of projects already carried-out.
● Priority is given to interdisciplinary projects carried out in biosphere reserves designated under the Man and the Biosphere Programme or potential biosphere reserves, and which contribute to the implementation of the Lima Action Plan (LAP) for Biosphere Reserves and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In this regard, applicants shall identify in their applications if and how their research contributes to the research-related actions of the LAP and to the SDGs.
Eligible Country: Applicants from developed countries are eligible for Awards only in exceptional cases or if working in joint partnership with developing countries.
Submission mail: N/A
Other important link:
● Circular letter: http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/SC/pdf/Circular_Letter_MAB_YSA_2017_en.pdf
How to apply:
● Application forms for MAB Young Scientists Award are available from: MAB Secretariat, Division of Ecological and Earth Sciences, UNESCO,7 Place de Fontenoy, 75352 Paris SP 07, France, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh