Funding brief: The UNICEF Innovation Fund is looking for start-ups that are developing and piloting new open source VR/AR solutions. They are looking to make investments in 1) software for authoring or consuming these new realities, 2) platforms and ways providing wider access to that software, 3) platforms and ways providing better tools for content creation (such as a template, workflow, or format), and 4) particular applications of content.
For their next VR/AR cohort of investees we are particularly interested in the following applications of content:
● Learning: Teaching people to perform simple tasks, in many languages, with higher retention rates and better motivational levels (examples: how to install a water pump; how to recognize malnutrition in under 5-year-olds; how to teach seamstresses to perform simple procedures). VR/AR also presents new ways of increasing access to experiential learning, including for people with disabilities.
● Understanding complex environments: Accessing large amounts of data and deciphering them in a better way. Getting a simple picture from a complex collection of data points (examples: converting history of GIS data points from refugee camps into a VR environment for better planning; improving situational awareness for emergency responders).
● New ways of storytelling: Undiscovered ways of using VR/AR to tell a story, especially by bridging cross-cultural gaps and creating a dialogue.
Donor Name: UNICEF
Funding name: Innovation Fund Call for VRAR Technologies
Deadline: Applications to the Fund are accepted on a rolling basis. However, to be considered for the VR/AR-focused cohort, they ask you to submit your application by September, 17th, 11:59pm EDT.
Funding details link: http://unicefstories.org/vr/
Funding limit: The Fund provides $50-90,000 in equity-free seed funding. You might need a small amount of money to get your prototype to the stage where the company has proof that the solution works for other people. Maybe another developer or two are needed, design help to communicate what the project can do or some server space. Refactoring something into a new language because the initial one won’t scale. Testing it in a new area. Getting some data points.
The UNICEF Innovation Fund can help to support the acceleration of your company’s work. The next stage after that proof would be pursuing more funding (this could be private sector investment or grant-funding, or other; depending on the type of technology and solution).
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: Not found
Eligible organization: As below
● The Fund provides early-stage seed funding to start-ups with a strong team and a clear path to impact on children’s lives. For this cohort, they are looking for startups with a working VR/AR prototype (hardware, software or content).
● You must be registered as a private company,
● Your company/institution must be registered in a UNICEF programme country,
● You are working on open source technology solutions or willing to be open
source under the following licenses or their equivalent:
for software, a BSD license,
for hardware, a CERN license and
for design or content, a CC-BY license,
● You have an existing prototype of the solution with promising results from initial pilots,
● Your solution has the potential to positively impact the lives of the most vulnerable children,
● Your project generates publicly-exposed real-time data that is measurable
Eligible Country: Start-ups registered in one of UNICEF’s programme countries (http://21028-presscdn.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/List-of-Programme-Countries-1.pdf).
Submission mail: N/A
Other important link:
● UNICEF’s programme countries: http://21028-presscdn.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/List-of-Programme-Countries-1.pdf
● Apply: https://unicefinnovationfund.org/#/submit
How to apply:
● Interested applicant may apply through the website (https://unicefinnovationfund.org/#/submit).
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh