Funding brief: Rainforest Trust invites application for the following funding opportunities throughout the year-
a) Rainforest Trust SAVES Challenge: This is to create new protected areas and expand existing ones for Critically Endangered and Endangered species;
Through our SAVES Challenge, Rainforest Trust has committed $50 million as a challenge match that will direct a total of $100 million to establish new Protected Areas to save the world’s most endangered species. Since 1988, Rainforest Trust and its local conservation partners have strategically created over 100 new Protected Areas towards our goal of protecting 50 million acres of vital habitat by the year 2020.
Partnership applications should meet the following criteria:
● Clear focus on creating a new Protected Area (e.g. through land purchase, designation as a national park, conversion of logging concessions to reserves, community protection or the expansion of existing Protected Areas).
● Proposed sites must be currently unprotected. Use IUCN’s Protected Planet (http://www.protectedplanet.net/ ) database to determine if the area is already recognized as protected (category 1-6) before submitting an application.
● Recent, verifiable evidence supporting the presence of species assessed as Endangered or Critically Endangeredon the IUCNRed List of Threatened Species (www.iucnredlist.org) within the proposed Protected Area site.
● Endorsement from project stakeholders, including local environmental agencies, government officials and especially communities.
● The applicant must be an NGO based in the country of the proposed Protected Area site.
● Priority is given to proposed sites located within the tropics.
● Evidence of an independent and autonomous oversight and management committee (e.g. a non-executive board) if land purchase or leasing is the proposed conservation strategy.
b) Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards: Rainforest Trust provides Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards to encourage conservationists and researchers to evaluate important potential sites for creating new Protected Areas.
Successful applications should exhibit clear intent to establish a new Protected Area and one or more of the following:
● Plan to evaluate the presence and abundance of Endangered or Critically Endangered species within unprotected sites in order to prioritize where a PA should be established.
● Efforts to evaluate land ownership of unprotected sites where Endangered or Critically Endangered species are found
● Efforts to negotiate land prices and gauge willingness to sell privately owned land
● Assessments of community and government interest in Protected Area creation
Donor Name: Rainforest Trust
● Rainforest Trust SAVES Challenge
● Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards
Deadline: Applications to create new protected areas are reviewed three times per year. Application deadlines for 2017 are March 1, July 1 and November 1.
Funding details link: https://www.rainforesttrust.org/saves-conservation/
● Rainforest Trust SAVES Challenge: There are no funding request limits for applicants, but our average grant is $200,000 USD.
● Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards: Rainforest Trust provides Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards to encourage conservationists and researchers to evaluate important potential sites for creating new Protected Areas. Awards average $5,000 ($10,000 is the maximum that may awarded in exceptional circumstances).
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not Found\
Project duration: Not Found
Eligible organization: As below
● Please find the eligibility questionnaire in the link (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfjLdixF2soq-lQ6KKWTfpkEh3NHb1YFbWjT1jNhdk3D43PFg/viewform?c=0&w=1 ).
Eligible Country: No country bar found (All regions)
Submission mail: SAVES@RainforestTrust.org
Other important link:
Rainforest Trust SAVES Challenge: https://www.rainforesttrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Rainforest-Trust-RPAFA.docx
Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards: https://www.rainforesttrust.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/Other%20Documents/2017RapidAssessmentApplication.docx
● IUCN’s Protected Areas Categories System: http://www.iucn.org/about/work/programmes/gpap_home/gpap_quality/gpap_pacategories/
● Google Earth polygon file: https://www.rainforesttrust.org/Google_Earth_Instructions.pdf
● IUCN’s Protected Planet database: http://www.protectedplanet.net/
How to apply:
● The normal project review process takes approximately 2.5 months to complete. If your land protection project is truly urgent, they may able to process it by calling an emergency meeting of our Board of Directors. They only do this in exceptional circumstances such as if there are imminent threats to irreplaceable habitats, if the land is up for auction, or if an impending election is likely to make habitat protection impossible in the future. Please send an email to SAVES@rainforesttrust.org if you think your project qualifies for our urgent review pipeline.
● If you are interested in applying to become a partner through the SAVES Challenge, complete the eligibility questionnaire. If you have any questions about the process, email SAVES@RainforestTrust.org to contact a Rainforest Trust conservation officer.
● To request a Feasibility Award, download the application and submit to SAVES@RainforestTrust.org . Proposals that do not include a polygon Google Earth KMZ or KML file or ArcGIS shapefile that shows the proposed protected area boundary will not be considered. Instructions on how to create a Google Earth polygon file are here (https://www.rainforesttrust.org/Google_Earth_Instructions.pdf ).
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh