Funding brief: Are you a scientist studying climate change or ways to mitigate or adapt to its impacts? IBM invites you to apply for free crowdsourced supercomputing power, weather data and cloud storage to support your climate or environmental research project. Up to five winning research teams will be announced beginning Fall 2017.
In return for this support, worth up to $40 million, they ask you to support open science by publicly releasing the research data from your collaboration with IBM, enabling the global community to benefit from and build upon your findings.
IBM has been a leader in addressing climate change through our energy conservation and climate protection programs for decades. We’re proud to expand our support for vital climate change research through this initiative.
Donor Name: IBM Corporation
Funding name: No specific name
Deadline: September, 15th, 2017.
Funding details link: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/climate.action
Funding limit: IBM Resources, For Free
● Crowdsourced computing power: Scientists can receive free, 24/7 access to up to 150,000 years of computing power though World Community Grid, an award-winning IBM Citizenship initiative that enables anyone with a computer or Android device to support scientific research by carrying out computational research tasks on their devices. This allows researchers to conduct large-scale investigations, often magnitudes larger than they would have otherwise been able to conduct.
Established in 2004, the initiative has enabled a number of breakthrough discoveries and has supported environmental research by helping scientists discover new materials for efficient solar energy, study the impact of management policies on large watershed areas and uncover more efficient ways to filter water. World Community Grid’s impact has been recognized by the White House Climate Data Initiative in 2014, the White House Materials Genome Initiative in 2013, and a Webby Award in 2016.
● Weather data: The historical and real-time weather data of The Weather Company, an IBM business, can help advance our understanding of environmental systems and support the design of solutions to prevent, mitigate against and adapt to climate change. These weather data can support many potential areas of inquiry, such as understanding impacts on watersheds and fresh water resource, tracking and predicting (human or animal) migration patterns based on changing weather conditions, analyzing weather that affects propagation of pollution and hampers clean-up efforts, developing models to analyze and improve crop or livestock resilience and yields in regions with extreme weather conditions, and more.
● Cloud storage: If you work on environmental research initiatives with very large data sets, IBM Cloud storage for your IBM-supported project could give you a scalable platform to store and analyze the results of your virtual experiments on World Community Grid and conduct further investigations. If you are awarded a grant, they will work with you to scope a free contribution of IBM Cloud storage aligned with your research efforts.
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: Not Found
Eligible organization: As below
● If you are a scientist working on climate or environment-related research at a public or non-profit institution, they invite you to apply for free computing and data resources from IBM to support your research. IBM will award up to 5 grants.
Eligible Country: No country bar found (All regions)
Submission mail: N/A
Other important link:
● Apply: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/climateapply.action
How to apply:
● Interested applicant may apply through the website (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/climateapply.action).
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh