Funding brief: The objective of the Innovation Fund is to extract insights from the trial and scaling of these innovative models to inform three key questions for growing the sector:
● How can mobile support utility services?
● For a mobile-enabled solution to be adopted at scale, what building blocks are needed
● What are the social and commercial impacts of delivering community services to underserved mobile subscribers?
The M4D Utilities Innovation Fund, supported by the UK Government and USAID Scaling Off-Grid Energy, aims to test and scale the use of mobile to improve or increase access to energy, water and sanitation services.
The Innovation Fund was launched in June 2013. In two phases of funding, grants have been competitively awarded to 34 organizations across four continents, amounting to 6 million GBP. A catalogue of past and current grantees can be found here.
Sector: Energy, Water and Sanitation grants only will be considered. For Sanitation, we do not consider solid waste collection and management proposals.
The two types of grants the programme awards include:
● Seed Grant: The specific objective of the Seed Grant is to support the trial of products/services that use mobile to enable sustainable access to energy, water or sanitation.
● Market Validation Grant: The specific objective of the Market Validation Grant is to support partnerships with mobile network operators OR utility service providers to support scaling or replication of an existing service that increases or improves access to sustainable energy, water and sanitation services to underserved customers. The service will already have demonstrated early success and have active users in at least one market.
Donor Name: The GSMA Foundation
Funding name: Mobile for Development ((M4D) Utilities Innovation Fund
● Concept note due: September 3, 2017
● Proposal phase for shortlisted applicants: September 25 – November 12, 2017
Funding details link: https://www.gsma.com/mobilefordevelopment/programmes/m4dutilities/innovation-fund-2
Funding limit: The two types of grants the programme awards include:
● Seed Grant: Up to GBP 150,000 in funding, 33% of total project cost matched by grantee
● Market Validation Grant: Up to GBP 300,000 in funding, 100% of total project cost matched by grantee
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: Not Found
Eligible organization: As below
Eligibility: The Innovation Fund is open to:
● Mobile operators
● Technology solutions providers
● Energy, water, or sanitation services providers, including:
● Decentralized service providers
● Urban and peri-urban utilities, and
● NGOs trialing business model approaches who propose to implement innovative products or services that include the use of one or more mobile channel(s) as a significant element of the delivery model.
● Strong preference will be given to applicants that are NOT implementing pay-as-you-go energy services in East Africa.
Eligible Country: They accept applications from Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia only, excluding the following countries: Algeria, Botswana, Gabon, Libya, Namibia, South Africa, Tunisia, Malaysia and Thailand.
Submission mail: N/A
Other important link:
● Seed Grant: https://www.gsma.com/mobilefordevelopment/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/M4D-Utilities-Term-Sheet-Seed.pdf
● Market Validation Grant: https://www.gsma.com/mobilefordevelopment/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/M4D-Utilities-Term-Sheet-Market-Validation.pdf
Seed Grant: https://gsma-m4d.forms.fm/gsma-m4du-utilities-innovation-fund-seed-grant-concept-note-round-2
Market Validation Grant: https://gsma-m4d.forms.fm/gsma-m4du-utilities-innovation-fund-market-validation-grant-concept-note-round-2
How to apply: Interested applicant may apply through the following link:
● Seed Grant: https://gsma-m4d.forms.fm/gsma-m4du-utilities-innovation-fund-seed-grant-concept-note-round-2
● Market Validation Grant: https://gsma-m4d.forms.fm/gsma-m4du-utilities-innovation-fund-market-validation-grant-concept-note-round-2
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh