Donor Name: The Nippon Foundation
Funding name: The Nippon Foundation’s Overseas Grants for Maritime and Ship-Related Projects
Funding brief: The Nippon Foundation is an independent, non-profit, grant-making organization founded in 1962. It was established by legislation for the purpose of carrying out philanthropic activities using revenue from motorboat racing.
The Foundation is providing aid to projects that fall under one of the following four major categories: 1) public welfare in Japan; 2) voluntary programs in Japan; 3) maritime and ship-related projects; and 4) overseas cooperative assistance.
Under the category of Overseas Grants for Maritime and Ship-related Projects, we especially respect cross-border, transnational activities; regional undertakings that may fall outside the reach of the public sector or other donor agencies; and initiatives to tackle pressing issues and long-range or persistent problems that require prompt and systemized care. Please refer to the following section for more detailed information about our grants.
Funding Areas: The ocean covers 71% of the Earth’s surface, and both directly and indirectly sustains the richness and diversity of human life. We believe that in order to share the grace and bounty of the ocean with future generations, ocean-related organizations around the world must work together from a global perspective to ensure its preservation by promoting peaceful and sustainable use of the oceans. To that end, it is equally important that not only experts, but people from all walks of life gain a deeper appreciation of the ocean.
From this viewpoint, we provide assistance to ocean-related projects, focusing on the types of initiatives outlined below.
● Projects that contribute to the formation of a new international order of the seas, by promoting mutual understanding and multilateral cooperation on ocean issues, and carrying out pioneering initiatives.
● International capacity and network building projects that promote cooperation among ocean experts, as well as with experts in other fields, in order to foster a more comprehensive understanding of the ocean, and facilitate discovery/sharing of effective new technologies and knowledge.
● Projects that foster sustainable regional development through multilateral cooperation, employing a comprehensive developmental approach that improves regional productivity while preserving the surrounding environment, including the coasts and ocean.
● Projects that promote public understanding and appreciation of the ocean through international activities in the fields of social welfare, culture, and sports, with the cooperation/participation of ocean experts and professionals.
● Other original and innovative international projects related to the ocean.
Deadline: There is no application deadline as such, and applications can be received throughout the year. However, since the screening procedures take two to five months on average, it is strongly recommended that applications be submitted at least half a year before the planned start of the project, or whenever the funding will be needed.
Funding details link: http://www.nippon-foundation.or.jp/en/what/grant/application/maritime/
Funding limit: Not found
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further clarification and understanding.
Project start date: There is no application deadline as such, and applications can be received throughout the year. However, since the screening procedures take two to five months on average, it is strongly recommended that applications be submitted at least half a year before the planned start of the project, or whenever the funding will be needed.
Project duration: Not Found
Eligible organization: As below
● Applicants for The Nippon Foundation’s Overseas Grants for Maritime and Ship-Related Projects must be non-profit organizations based outside of Japan. They can be regional or international NGOs/NPOs, and include educational and research institutions.
● The Foundation does not accept applications from, nor provide grants to, private individuals or for-profit organizations.
Eligible Country: Outside of Japan
Submission mail: N/A
Other important link:
● Word: http://www.nippon-foundation.or.jp/en/what/grant/application/maritime/2jcahj000005fnci.doc
How to apply:
● Applications must be submitted by mail; they do not accept applications by fax or e-mail. All materials should be typed in English and sent to:Overseas Program Section, Department of Maritime Affairs, The Nippon Foundation, 1-2-2, Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8404, Japan.
● The cover letter should be addressed to: Mr. Yohei Sasakawa, Chairman, c/o Department of Maritime Affairs, The Nippon Foundation, 1-2-2 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8404, Japan.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh