Donor Name: Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) Ebbe Nielsen Challenge
Funding name: Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) Ebbe Nielsen Challenge Fund
Funding brief: The 2017 GBIF Ebbe Nielsen Challenge will award a total of €14,000 to developers and data scientists who create tools capable of liberating species records from open data repositories for scientific discovery and reuse.
The 2017 GBIF Ebbe Nielsen Challenge seeks submissions that repurpose these datasets and adapting them into the Darwin Core Archive format (DwC-A), the interoperable and reusable standard that powers the publication of almost 800 million species occurrence records from the nearly 1,000 worldwide institutions now active in the GBIF network.
The 2017 Ebbe Nielsen Challenge will task developers and data scientists to create web applications, scripts or other tools that automate the discovery and extraction of relevant biodiversity data from open data repositories. Such tools might generate datasets ready for publication on GBIF.org by:
● Automating searches of open data available in public repositories
● Effectively mining the information needed to generate checklists, species occurrence and sampling-event datasets (e.g. scientific names, date and location of occurrence et al.) from datasets in these repositories
● Mapping datasets’ column headings and/or contents with standardized Darwin Core terms
● Routinely converting the reformatted data into Darwin Core archive formats ready for publication through GBIF.org .
Deadline: Complete and enter all of the required fields on the “Enter a Submission” page of the Challenge Website (each a “Submission”) by the end of the Challenge Submission Period—that is, by 2300 CEST (UTC +1) on 5th, Sept, 2017.
Funding details link: https://gbif2017.devpost.com
Funding limit: €14,000 in prizes
Special Notes: Please contact with the donor directly for further understanding and clarification.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: Not Found
Eligible organization: As below
● The Challenge is open to individuals, teams of individuals, companies and their employees, and governmental agencies and their employees.
The Challenge is NOT open to:
● Members of the GBIF Secretariat
● Individuals currently under an external contract issued by the GBIF Secretariat
● Members of the GBIF Science Committee
● Heads of Delegation to GBIF
Submission mail: N/A
Other important link:
● Register: https://secure.devpost.com/users/register?return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fgbif2017.devpost.com%2F
How to apply:
● Complete and enter all of the required fields on the “Enter a Submission” page of the Challenge Website (each a “Submission”) by the end of the Challenge Submission Period—that is, by 2300 CEST (UTC +1) on 5th, Sept, 2017.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh