Donor Name: International Women Media Foundation (IWMF)
Award name: Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists
Award brief: Promoting the work and advancing the role of women in the news media across the globe is critical to transparency and a diversity of voices.
The Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists, the first funding initiative of its kind, enables the IWMF to dramatically expand its support of women journalists. Established with a $4 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, the Fund will support projects including educational opportunities, investigative reporting and media development initiatives.
Funding rounds will open for applications in January and June of each year; applications take 6-8 weeks to process. Applicants may apply for concurrently for Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories and the Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists.
The fund was designed to help women journalists by providing grantees support to:
● Expose under-reported but critical global issues
● Undertake ambitious projects that challenge traditional media narratives
● Develop field-based expertise and strengthen careers
● Pursue training and leadership opportunities
● Launch entrepreneurial news projects or acquire the skill to do so
Deadline: The second round of funding for 2017 will be open for online applications from June 19th, 2017 – 25th, July, 2017 at 11:59 pm EST.
Award details link: http://www.iwmf.org/programs/howard-g-buffett-fund-for-women-journalists/
Award limit: For the next nine years, the IWMF will make an annual total of $230,000 worth of grants to support women journalists in their projects and endeavors
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: They will work with individual grants recipients to determine a completion timeline that best suits the project – most project timelines are six months to one year long and funds are distributed when the grant recipients are chosen.
Eligible organization: As below
● Woman-identifying journalists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
● Professional Journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession.
● Applicants must have three or more years of professional journalism experience.
● Teams of journalists may apply, however the submission must be from a woman journalist and her team must include at least 50% women.
● An applicant must identify as a woman and be a full time professional practicing journalist with more than 3 years of post-graduate journalism experience. If applicable, teams of journalists may apply, but the team leader must be a woman journalist and the group must include at least 50 percent women.
Submission mail: N/A
Other important link:
● Guideline: https://iwmf.submittable.com/submit/88100/howard-g-buffett-fund-for-women-journalists-2017-round-2
● FAQ: http://www.iwmf.org/programs/howard-g-buffett-fund-for-women-journalists/faqs/
● Apply: https://iwmf.submittable.com/submit/88100/howard-g-buffett-fund-for-women-journalists-2017-round-2
How to apply:
● Interested applicant may apply through the website (https://iwmf.submittable.com/submit/88100/howard-g-buffett-fund-for-women-journalists-2017-round-2).
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh