Donor Name: OpenIDEO and GHR Foundation
Fund name: Innovation Challenge
Funding brief: This innovation Challenge, in collaboration with GHR Foundation, will support organizations working to address urgent global challenges at the intersections of peace, prosperity, and planet in radically new ways. How might we work together to design and innovate for the global good?
The Need for a Different Kind of Solution:
● Work at the Intersection: These global challenges are complex and interwoven — problems that cannot be solved in isolation. They are also evolving at a rate that requires immediate action to provide relief, restoration and reconciliation.
The fund cannot build peace without considering the ways in which resource scarcity triggers conflict within a population. Neither can they increase prosperity without taking into account the destabilizing effects conflict has on a community. And they will never truly advance towards environmental sustainability, without confronting the pressures of poverty and population density on ecosystems.
Successful ideas will be solutions that bridge across peace, prosperity, and planet — addressing the complex global challenges at the intersection of these issue areas in radical new ways. Throughout the Innovation Challenge, they’ll refer to this as ‘bridging work’.
● Collaboration across Divides: Whether working to advance peace, increase prosperity, or preserve our planet, there is a need for dialogue and collaboration across issue areas. Successful solutions are no longer single-faceted, given the dynamism of our evolving global community. Whether working between municipalities and community organizations, or across non-profits in a similar geography, the whole is greater than the simple sum of its parts. They are excited to see ideas that are born from or strongly encourage collaboration.
● Focus on Process and Infrastructure: Consider global challenges as problems of process and infrastructure, rather than problems of resource. Successful solutions will ask: “What scaffolds can we build to support communities in making progress on their own?’, instead of assume additional resources alone will solve a problem. This focus on processes, rather than resources, leads to developing innovations that communities can lean on to help them thrive sustainably.
The OpenIDEO Challenge Process: During our Ideas phase, they’ll call a global community to action – to share solutions that address urgent challenges at the intersections of peace, prosperity, and planet in radically new ways. These ideas should bridge solutions in two of the three issue areas.
Then, with help from Challenge Sponsors and Advisory Board, they’ll create a shortlist of submitted ideas that will move into our Beneficiary Feedback phase. During Beneficiary Feedback, they will ask contributors to test ideas in their communities and apply feedback to their proposal.
Next, during Expert Feedback phase, shortlisted ideas will be given feedback from issue experts and leaders in the international development space. After expert feedback, they will open the Improve Phase, during which each idea will have 2 weeks to apply expert feedback to their proposal.
After these phases and the resultant refinement of idea proposals, they’ll review and announce the Top Ideas – a set of solutions that represent most promising innovations in the topic area. Top Ideas will receive funding and post-Challenge support, and community will support the transformation of these collaborative concepts into tangible real world solutions.
Deadline: 7 April 2017 (16 days left)
Prize limit: Selected top ideas will receive a share of $1 million in funding from GHR Foundation.
Additional prize: Selected top ideas will:
● be part of a cohort of top innovative organizations helping to solve pressing issues.
● be invited to a kick-off workshop during which they will meet other winners and explore how their ideas connect across the Challenge theme.
● receive ongoing partnership support from GHR Foundation, potential connection to other funder networks, and PR exposure.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: Not Found
Eligible organization: If your organization is already doing bridging work, they’d love to learn more about a recent project, and how this innovation Challenge might amplify it. If your organization is only focusing in one of these topic areas, join their innovation Challenge to explore new models and expand the scope of your work, as well as be connected to other actors in the space who may compliment your mission.
Eligibility: As above
Submission mail: As above
Other important link:
● GHR Foundation: http://www.ghrfoundation.org/
● How to submit idea: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XjlbN9662ncmbOs9Y9MreVJQJuNUEV4Yx4crkjhsTrw/pub
● Apply: https://openideo.auth0.com/login?client=Bmze6ZnwftEgMAq69kM4QMEL7sJSclmX&protocol=oauth2&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fchallenges.openideo.com%2Foauth2%2Flogin%2Falias%2Fauth0sso&response_type=code&scope=openid%20profile&state=MSAq_aXqj6sjn7M5GjM0RVKlLtyduJ-7
How to apply: Applications may submit online through given website (https://openideo.auth0.com/login?client=Bmze6ZnwftEgMAq69kM4QMEL7sJSclmX&protocol=oauth2&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fchallenges.openideo.com%2Foauth2%2Flogin%2Falias%2Fauth0sso&response_type=code&scope=openid%20profile&state=MSAq_aXqj6sjn7M5GjM0RVKlLtyduJ-7)
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh