Donor Name: Mama Cash
Fund name: Mama Cash Fund, 2017
Funding brief: Mama Cash supports ambitious feminist and women’s rights organizations and initiatives led by and for women, girls and trans people.
Mama Cash provides core grants. This means that they support entire organizations as opposed to isolated projects or events. Core funding enables organizations and groups to set their own priorities, to respond to challenges and opportunities as they arise, and to cover essential operating costs that other donors may be reluctant to finance.
Mama Cash’s grant making: types of grants The groups that Mama Cash supports are often emerging, small or not formally registered. Emerging organizations address new manifestations of injustice, or they develop innovative approaches that challenge deep-seated discrimination. Women’s, girls’ and trans groups are typically smaller than mainstream nonprofit organizations; they often don’t have the capacity to raise funds from donors like those who give to Mama Cash.
Recognizing the practical and political obstacles faced by many of their grantees, they do not require that groups be registered legally in order to receive their support. However, they do ensure that all groups meet accountability criteria regarding organizational decision-making and financial management.
The aim is to build long-term partnerships. To achieve this, they provide multi-year funding to their grantees. They also receive tailored non-financial accompaniment support throughout the grant period.
These complementary aspects of their programmatic work enable us to support grantees’ organizational development. They also facilitate opportunities for learning and networking so that they can grow in power, scale and influence.
Goal: To support up to 15 feminist groups led by women, girls and trans people.
Thematic portfolios:Mama Cash’s grant making: Number-of-grants-per-portfolio Each organization and women’s fund that Mama Cash supports has its own set of goals and priorities. Three decades of work with women’s movements has taught us that certain themes and priorities emerge again and again despite important differences in context, identity and circumstance.
These themes are:
● Body: bodily integrity and autonomy
● Money: economic justice
● Voice: agency and participation
● Women’s Funds: access to a feminist resource base for organizing women, girls, and trans people
The Strategic Partnerships portfolio supports organizations and initiatives that work across multiple thematic portfolios.
Eligible criteria: Mama Cash supports groups and initiatives that:
● Work from a feminist and/or women’s rights perspective
● Are self-led by the women, girls and/or trans people they serve
● Have the promotion of women’s, girls’ and/or trans people’s human rights as their primary mission, and not just as the focus of part of their programmes
● Push for structural and fundamental change
● Focus on issues that are under-addressed and/or contested
Supporting area: Mama Cash makes grants in most countries of the world. Even though contexts are significantly different, They have found that the concerns of some specific groups of women, girls and trans* people tend to be unaddressed and/or contested in most societies (and social movements). So these groups are often found among their grantees.
Mama Cash focuses on three broad thematic areas – Body, Money and Voice – and they support groups whose work falls within them (for further information, see here). For example, Mama Cash supports groups that work on:
● Forced sterilization of women living with HIV and AIDS
● Exclusion of Indigenous women from decision making over their land
● Labor rights of women and trans people in sex, domestic or industrial work
● Rights to water, food, and a clean, safe, and healthy environment
● Confronting legal and social discrimination against lesbian and bisexual women, or against migrant and refugee women
● Sexual rights of women, girls and trans persons living with disabilities
● Decision-making for girls and older women (65+) about their lives (education, health, relationships)
● Political and public participation for women, girls or trans persons from ethnic or religious minorities
This list is merely indicative. Mama Cash is open to supporting groups organizing on other issues that are relevant for their context and have not been mentioned, provided they meet their criteria.
Deadline: 15 May 2017, 11:59 pm CEST
Funding details link: http://www.mamacash.org/apply-for-a-grant-2/womens-girls-and-trans-groups/
Budget limit: Mama Cash’s grant size ranges from €5.000 to €50.000 per year. Her average grant size is between €20.000 and €30.000 per year.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: Mama Cash gives both single-year and multi-year grants. Each multi-year grant period runs for a maximum of two years. Do note that for an organization or initiative she has not supported before, Mama Cash always starts with a single-year grant.
Eligible organization: Mama Cash is open to supporting informal, unregistered groups of activists, or networks, or coalitions of organizations.
Eligibility: Mama Cash prioritizes groups and initiatives that
● Have an annual budget below 200,000 euros
● Mama Cash may partner with larger groups through Accompaniment portfolio (formerly known as Strategic Partnerships Portfolio: http://www.mamacash.org/what-we-do/grantmaking/strategic-partnerships-portfolio/) but will not prioritize providing financial support to them through their thematic portfolios (Body, Money and/or Voice)
● Africa and West Asia: firstname.lastname@example.org
● East, South & Southeast Asia and Oceania: email@example.com
● Europe and Central & North Asia: firstname.lastname@example.org
● Latin America and the Caribbean: email@example.com
Other important link:
● FAQ: http://www.mamacash.org/apply-for-a-grant-2/womens-girls-and-trans-groups/frequently-asked-questi
● LOI format:
● Apply: http://www.mamacash.org/apply-for-a-grant-2/womens-girls-and-trans-groups/what-we-do-and-what-we-do-not-fund/apply-for-a-grant/
How to apply: Interested applicants may apply for a grant by filling up the Letter of Interest format available in the given website (http://www.mamacash.org/apply-for-a-grant-2/womens-girls-and-trans-groups/what-we-do-and-what-we-do-not-fund/apply-for-a-grant/ ).
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh