Donor Name: The World Food Prize Foundation
Award name: The Borlaug Field Award
Award brief: This award will recognize exceptional, science-based achievement in international agriculture and food production by an individual under 40 who has clearly demonstrated intellectual courage, stamina, and determination in the fight to eliminate global hunger and poverty.
The award will honor an individual who is working closely and directly “in the field” or at the production or processing level with farmers, animal herders, fishers or others in rural communities, in any discipline or enterprise across the entire food production, processing, and distribution chain.
Criteria for the Award: Candidates will be evaluated and selected based on the attributes and accomplishments that reflect those demonstrated by Dr. Borlaug during his work in field research and application, which include:
● Persistence: Exhibiting Dr. Borlaug’s “never give up” attitude, even in the face of adversity, difficult circumstances, limitation of resources, and/or critique from colleagues.
● Innovation: Applying Dr. Borlaug’s credo “reach for the stars” in pursuing innovative pathways, methods, and solutions in a quest to provide adequate food and nutrition for the world’s people.
● Communication: Emulating Dr. Borlaug’s example of understanding local cultures; working effectively in cross-cultural, cross-disciplinary situations; identifying the needs and assets of people in a given community or region; and connecting with a diverse array of stakeholders.
● Research/Science: Facilitating positive change through rigorous research methods, techniques, management approaches, and/or strategies that result in increased food production, availability, distribution, and/or better nutrition.
● Extension: Extending innovative discoveries and technologies in plant science, animal science, and/or food science to underserved farmers and consumers.
● Education: Providing hands-on science training and education to stakeholders in rural communities, including farm families and agricultural and food production workers.
● Application: Applying improved technologies and/or management systems to crops and/or animal agriculture for sustainable production, more nutritious food, and a reduction of poverty.
● Leadership: Demonstrating leadership of other agricultural professionals, field researchers, and/or practitioners working in collaborative programs aimed at reducing hunger and poverty and revitalizing communities.
● Impact: Increasing the amount of food available through all of the above. Dr. Borlaug was always about making a difference and “putting more food on the plate.”
Deadline: Nominations are accepted from November 1 through June 30 each year.
Award details link: https://www.worldfoodprize.org/index.cfm?nodeID=87974&audienceID=1
Award limit: $10,000
Project start date: N/A
Project duration: N/A
Eligible organization: As below
● Nominees must be under the age of 40 (40th birthday not reached before World Food Day, October 16, of the year in which the award is presented).
● Nominees must be actively working in the discipline, research area, position, or on the project(s) for which they are being recognized. They may be associated with a public or private educational, research or development organization or related entity.
● Nominees remain eligible for consideration beyond the year of their nomination, at the discretion of the Award Jury, as long as the award criteria and age requirement are met.
● The award is intended to be presented to one person. In unusual and rare circumstances, another person may share the award for pronounced collaborative efforts and achievement.
Submission mail: Not Found
Other important link:
● Apply: https://www.worldfoodprize.org/index.cfm?nodeID=87975&audienceID=1
How to apply: All nominations may be submitted in English online at www.worldfoodprize.org/borlaugfieldaward .
Required Nomination Documentation:
● A concise statement (3000-word limit) explaining and describing:
● the nominee’s work and accomplishments, with details and examples that illustrate several of the criteria specified for this award;
● how, in doing this work, the nominee reflects the attributes demonstrated by Dr. Borlaug during his early career; and
● the impact or results of the nominee’s work.
● Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae or resume, including date of birth, country of origin, education, and professional background.
● One (1) nomination letter and two (2) letters of support describing, explaining and emphasizing the main achievements of the nominee must be provided with the nomination. Due to the high volume of nominations, please do not submit more than two support letters.
● Photos: A head shot of the nominee is required (minimum 300 dpi resolution); 2 additional action photos of the nominee at work may also be submitted.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh