Donor Name: Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
Fund name: Intersex Human Rights Fund
Funding brief: The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is proud to announce a new call for proposals for our third cycle of our Intersex Human Rights Fund, launched in 2015 to honor the resilience, creativity and growth of intersex activism and to ensure the human rights of intersex people. They recognize that the entrenched practice of organizing the world into the sex binary and gender binary has alarming and rights-violating consequences for intersex bodies. People with intersex variations face invisibility, stigma, discrimination and violence. Intersex babies and children are widely subjected to “normalizing,” non-consensual, harmful surgeries and other medical interventions, with life-long consequences, including sterilization and genital mutilation. There are few legal frameworks to protect intersex people from multiple forms of discrimination and institutional violence. While intersex activism has been growing around the world, intersex issues and communities remain starkly under-funded, receiving less than a fraction of 1% of global foundation funding for LGBTQI people and/or women and girls.
The Intersex Human Rights Fund supports organizations, projects and timely campaigns led by intersex activists working to ensure the human rights, bodily autonomy, physical integrity and self-determination of intersex people. Given the dearth of funding to intersex issues globally, intersex groups/projects based anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
Astraea particularly seeks proposals from intersex activists who have never applied for a grant or received foundation funding. Groups with small or no budgets, staff or structures are eligible and encouraged to apply.
Astraea’s grant making philosophy: Astraea’s grant making is guided by our understanding of how social change and movements for justice develop. They believe that:
● Social change results from the powerful collective action of groups of people working together.
● Organizations that are committed to addressing the intersections of various oppressions, and demonstrate commitment to social, racial, economic and gender justice, are most likely to build transformative and liberationist movements for change.
● Art and cultural work are powerful mediums for resistance, cultural change and inspiration – all critical components of lasting justice movements.
● Communities that are most affected by various issues are best positioned to identify effective priorities and strategies for social change in their communities.
● Social justice funding institutions – like Astraea – seek to help redistribute wealth and power in society in order to help finance the sectors of our movements that have the least access to mainstream funding resources.
● Have active participation and leadership from the communities most affected by issues that the group works on
● Are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the geographic region in which they do their work
● Show an understanding of the connections among different oppressions facing intersex people, and have a commitment to address other forms of oppression based on class, race, ethnicity, age, physical and mental ability, gender, sexuality, national identity, and religious affiliation
● Develop leadership and build communities’ capacity to achieve social change, particularly through proposals that strengthen an organization’s ability to organize
● Work in alliance and/or builds coalition with other social justice organizations (e.g. sex worker rights, LGBTQ rights, disability rights, children’s rights, etc.)
● Have organizational structures and practices in place that reflect social justice principles
● Have limited access to traditional sources of funding
Deadline: March, 15th, 2017
Funding details link: http://www.astraeafoundation.org/apply-for-a-grant/international-fund
Budget limit: Grants will range from $2,500 – $10,000. Organizations can apply for general support or project support:
General support: Funds that can cover any and all costs in an organization’s budget, including expenses such as salaries and rent, equipment, training and staff needs, that help build the organizational and programmatic capacity of the group to carry out its work. This support can be used for any purpose that helps your group achieve its mission.
Project support: Funds that can be used for a specific program or project that will help a group pursue its objectives. A project is a time-bound activity or set of activities. Project support can pay for a mixture of items within a project budget, including a contribution towards administrative costs.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: Not Found
Eligible organization: Astraea supports groups, projects and organizations led by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTQI) communities working for progressive social change and addressing oppression based on sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and sex characteristics / bodily diversity.
● Are led by and for intersex people. While groups led by intersex people will be prioritized, intersex projects of broader organizations (eg. T/I, LGBTI, human rights, women’s rights, health rights, disability rights) are eligible if the project is led by intersex people.
● Utilize social, cultural, artistic, political, legal and/or institutional change strategies to advance the rights of people with intersex variations, including the following aims:
● Ensure bodily integrity, physical autonomy and self-determination
● Ensure access to information, counseling and support
● End invisibility and break isolation
● End stigma and discrimination
● End medical and other forms of institutional violence against intersex people, at all stages of life
● Build legal frameworks to ensure protection of human rights and reparative justice
● Strengthen human rights approaches, including use of international and regional mechanisms
● Produce critical knowledge on intersex issues
● Create celebratory approaches to intersex issues
● Strengthen the intersex human rights movement
Submission mail: Not Found
Other important link:
● Proposal format: http://www.astraeafoundation.org/uploads/pdf/FY%202017%20IHRF%20/IntersexFundRFP3rdcycle2017_English.docx
● Budget format: http://www.astraeafoundation.org/uploads/pdf/FY%202017%20IHRF%20/IHRF%20Budget%20Sheet%20Template%20for%20RFP%202017_English.xlsx
How to apply: Astraea particularly seeks proposals from intersex activists who have never applied for a grant or received foundation funding. Groups with small or no budgets, staff or structures are eligible and encouraged to apply. If you have questions about how to complete the application, please reach out to Astraea staff at IntersexFund@astraeafoundation.org. Groups may submit proposals in English, Spanish, French, German, Russian or Mandarin.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh