Donor Name: Environmental Research & Education Foundation (EREF)
Fund name: Environmental Research & Education Foundation Fund
Funding brief: The sustainability movement has reached the business models of nearly every industry in the United States, and many companies, municipalities and states have set aggressive sustainability goals that include how waste stream are being managed. The EREF Board of Directors has set an initiative to ensure research funded reflects EREF’s long-term strategic plan to address all areas of integrated solid waste management, with a strong focus towards research that increased sustainable solid waste management practices.
Research Topic Areas:
Pre-proposal topics must relate to sustainable solid waste management practices and pertain to the following topic areas:
● Waste minimization
● Waste conversion to energy, biofuels, chemicals or other useful products. This includes, but is not limited to, the following technologies:
● Anaerobic digestion
● Other thermal or biological conversion technologies
● Strategies to promote diversion to higher and better uses (e.g. organics diversion, market analysis, optimized material management, logistics, etc.)
Topics Requiring Approval Prior to Pre-Proposal Submission: There are a number of topics that may require approval before a pre-proposal will be considered. Investigators who would like to propose a research topic where the primary objectives relate to the areas listed below should contact EREF to discuss the topic prior to submitting a pre-proposal. To do this, please email a description of the proposed research that is 1-page or less to firstname.lastname@example.org that requests review of the concept. This request should be made 2 weeks or more in advance of any pre-proposal deadline. If necessary, or upon request, the concept can be discussed via phone as well.
List of Topics Requiring Approval:
● Development of life-cycle/process models to evaluate solid waste
● Evaluating specific applications of pyrolysis/gasification to manage niche/minor waste streams
● Development of specific gasification/pyrolysis techniques or technologies
● Using algae to create biofuels from waste
Deadline: EREF has two deadlines per year for pre-proposals: a) January 6; b) June 1;
Pre-proposals will be accepted starting from 15 days prior to the deadline date and up to the close of business (5:00 p.m. eastern time) on the deadline date. Proposals must be received during this window to be considered. If any of the above dates fall on a weekend, then the deadline will be the Monday following the due date.
Funding details link: https://erefdn.org/research-grants-projects/how-to-apply-for-grant/
Budget limit: Previously awarded grants have ranged from $15,000 to over $500,000 with the average grant amount in recent years being $160,000. Typical project durations are about 2 years. It should be noted that proposed research in excess of $300,000 or longer than 3 years should contain sufficient details that justify the need for the higher than average amount requested and longer project duration.
Project start date: Not Found
Project duration: a) Normally 2 years; b) In special case, 3 years with justification
Eligible organization: As below
Eligibility: Non-U.S. Institutions: There are no restrictions in regards to geographic location. Any U.S. or non-U.S. institutions are eligible to apply.
● Non-Academic Institutions: Proposals will be accepted from non-academic institutions provided the principal investigators are qualified to conduct the research.
● Multiple Institutions: Submissions may include multiple institutions.
● Principal Investigator: Principal investigators (PI) must be qualified to do the work proposed and should be experts in the subject matter referenced in the pre-proposal/proposal. Typically this would include full-time faculty at academic institutions, post-doctoral employees, and principals or senior personnel at non-academic institutions. Graduate students are not eligible to be principal investigators. However, graduate students are encouraged to consider applying to EREF’s scholarship program (see the EREF website for details).
Submission mail: Not Found
Other important link:
● Apply to the request: https://erefscholarships.communityforce.com/Funds/Search.aspx#4371597136646D517975544F5976596D4E73384E69673D3D
● Pre-Proposal Template: https://erefdn.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2016-Updated-EREF_Pre-proposal_Template.docx
How to apply: Interested Applicants may apply online via given website (https://erefscholarships.communityforce.com/Funds/Search.aspx#4371597136646D517975544F5976596D4E73384E69673D3D)
Formatting Requirements: All proposals shall be in English. Proposals should be between 1 to 2 pages in length in 12-point Times New Roman font. The spacing on each page shall be between 1.15 and 1.5 lines. All pre-proposals MUST use the template provided. Pre-proposals that do not use the template will not be reviewed.
File Attachment and Naming: Pre-proposals must be attached as a single Microsoft Word® or in portable document format (PDF) and named as follows:
PI Last Name_AbbreviatedInstitutionName_MonthSubmittedYearSubmitted_preproposal
Example: Dr. John Smith from Arizona State submits a pre-proposal in August 2016 then the file submitted would be named: Smith_ASU_0816_preproposal.doc (or .pdf)
Files submitted that are incorrectly formatted will not be accepted.
Multiple Files: Submittal of multiple files will not be accepted.
Cover Letters: Cover letters for pre-proposal submissions are not required.
Visit all Funding opportunities: https://fundforbangladesh.wordpress.com/site-map/
Facebook page-Fund for Bangladesh